Connecting tv to amplifier for my surround sound

Andy_1964

Commendable
Oct 20, 2016
Hope this is he right place cos I'm getting really fustrated with my surround sound.
I have a Sony amp str-dg710 and it powers my surround sound for tv music and dvd. Just got a new TV and I can't get the tv audio through the amp. The tv is a sharp LC-48CFF6001K.The amp only has red and white rca. The tv has digital output.
I have tried the red the red and white rca into the headphone jack. Tried hdmi to hdmi and finally bought a prozer digital to analog audio converter and still no joy.
I am wondering if is a setting on amp I've got wrong.or is the tv not compatability. Any help would be appreciated. Please keep it simple terms for me though. Thanks

Solution
According to this link
https://docs.sony.com/release//STRDG710_Install.pdf
the receiver has an optical audio input. Your TV has optical audio out so connect them with a toslink cable.
On the TV you may have to turn the optical output on and maybe the TV speakers off to get it to work. If the TV has more than one audio output type try each until you get a surround sound indication on the receiver.
On the receiver you will have to assign the optical connection to one of the inputs (such as TV) in the input menu. Set the receiver surround mode to Dolby for this input.
According to this link
https://docs.sony.com/release//STRDG710_Install.pdf
the receiver has an optical audio input. Your TV has optical audio out so connect them with a toslink cable.
On the TV you may have to turn the optical output on and maybe the TV speakers off to get it to work. If the TV has more than one audio output type try each until you get a surround sound indication on the receiver.
On the receiver you will have to assign the optical connection to one of the inputs (such as TV) in the input menu. Set the receiver surround mode to Dolby for this input.

Solution

Andy_1964

Commendable
Oct 20, 2016
Just a note to say thanks. I didnt think i could use the sat digital input for the tv. thats how little I know. Tried it and I'm all up and running. THANK YOU. Definately know where to come for answers in the future.