Connecting Two Atmos Receivers to Add More Speakers in One Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

davo53209

Prominent
Nov 25, 2017
Hello Everyone:
I currently own a Denon S720 AVR that's configured for 7.2. Recently, I've decided to add two more height speakers to the ceiling; but clearly, my receiver will not allow me to do so.

What I would like to know, is if it's possible to add more speakers within one room, by utilizing a second home theater receiver. If so, how would that be it done?

At present, I'm able to get an other Denon Atmos receiver dirt cheap.

Solution
Would another option be adding the 2 extra speakers so they run off the existing 2 height speakers?
If you connect the additional speakers in parallel, they half the impedence, so two 8 ohm speakers would be 4 ohm (I wouldn't go below 6 ohms with that receiver). If you connect the speakers in series, it would double the impedance - two 8 ohm speakers would be 16 ohms. Wouldn't hurt the receiver, but you may need to boost the output setting on those speakers.
What do you think Americanaudiophile ?
All the processing has to be done in one receiver.
If one of the receivers has speaker level outputs for one pair of Atmos speakers and line level Atmos outputs for another pair then you could use the other receiver as an amp to drive two Atmos speakers, Your present receiver doesn't have those line level outputs so the dirt cheap one would have to.
Otherwise you need to use one receiver that has 9 channels of power.

davo53209

Prominent
Nov 25, 2017
I understand what a level output is and I can see it on the back of the higher-end receiver that I had in mind; however, when I went to Best Buy, the clerk was not able to show me an example of a line level on the back of the receiver. Would you be able to show me a diagram or picture of what that looks like? Thank you.

dudio

Admirable
Would another option be adding the 2 extra speakers so they run off the existing 2 height speakers?
If you connect the additional speakers in parallel, they half the impedence, so two 8 ohm speakers would be 4 ohm (I wouldn't go below 6 ohms with that receiver). If you connect the speakers in series, it would double the impedance - two 8 ohm speakers would be 16 ohms. Wouldn't hurt the receiver, but you may need to boost the output setting on those speakers.
What do you think Americanaudiophile ?

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.