Continuous Beep on start up, windows loads but...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

stezzo

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Hello,

My brother has a gateway laptop he used for 1 1/2 years(2005-2007) until 1 day on startup it keep making repeated beeping during booting. After windows loads up, it stops beeping but when on the internet - you cannot type in anything! As soon as you put the mouse in the search bar to type, it types in "...................................................................................",
all the way across as if the ".", key is stuck. I recently got great help from combat wombat for my Dell laptop, thanks again "CW". Hoping to get some more great help again or at least to be pointed in the right direction would be appreciated but still hoping to go 2 for 2 on tom's hardware. It's been years so the Gateway laptop is no longer in warranty so my bro is using the old dinosaur Dell desktop from 2001 that takes forever when on the net, lol. Thank you.

Thank you,
Stezzo aka Steven

Solution
You might try to find instructions or a video on how to just take the keyboard out of your particular laptop. Most times its only 2 screws and a careful tug, then 1 tiny little ribbon cable.

The computer should start and work with no key board, although you can't do much with mouse only.

There are lots of people that sell aftermarket and generic laptop keyboards on ebay for 10-20 bucks. Just match up the model numbers. I have replaced 10 or so in the past 2 or 3 years this way.

voyour

Honorable
Jul 21, 2013
Did you try cleaning the keyboard? Laptop keyboards need to be cleaned occasionally. An old toothbrush may do the trick. You'll be surprised how much grit and hair can collect in there.
Also it's good to leave the top down when not in use, to keep dust from getting in.

We had the beeping problem on the acer laptop now, I found this thread which confirmed my suspicion of the keyboard, so gave it a good cleaning, problem appears to be fixed.

quake2u

Estimable
Nov 9, 2015
I know this is an old thread but my gateway m6750 is doing the exact same thing except it repeats 8's I also get the beeps. I took the keyboard out and it does the same thing. I also swapped memory and pulled the hard drive,still got the beeps. I guess this is something in the motherboard that makes the keyboard work. I guess stezzo did the right thing . he smashed it or just gave up.

My brother has a gateway laptop he used for 1 1/2 years(2005-2007) until 1 day on startup it keep making repeated beeping during booting. After windows loads up, it stops beeping but when on the internet - you cannot type in anything! As soon as you put the mouse in the search bar to type, it types in "...................................................................................",
all the way across as if the ".", key is stuck. I recently got great help from combat wombat for my Dell laptop, thanks again "CW". Hoping to get some more great help again or at least to be pointed in the right direction would be appreciated but still hoping to go 2 for 2 on tom's hardware. It's been years so the Gateway laptop is no longer in warranty so my bro is using the old dinosaur Dell desktop from 2001 that takes forever when on the net, lol. Thank you.

Thank you,
Stezzo aka Steven[/quotemsg]