Contracted Verizon phone, to Pre-Paid service.

Xellvar

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note II (SCH-I605; Verizon) I hate Verizon, they've jipped me of so much money...I've heard you can just buy a SIM card from; Straight-Talk, Virgin-Mobile, etc. I was wondering can I cancel my plan with Verizon, and move over to...Either Virgin-Mobile or Straight-Talk? I want unlimited data. I know of the cancel fee, and what not. But that's my least concern. I've also heard you need a clean ESN? Which not sure if my Note II has a clean (Or changeable) ESN. If it does not, could I root it...Causing a clean ESN? Thanks - AJ.

Solution
Here is an article for you to read. The only carrier that you could probably get it to work with is Virgin Mobile. http://theunlockr.com/2010/09/15/unlocking-101-difference-between-cdma-and-gsm/

tcb1005

Estimable
Feb 11, 2014
[removed]you can't physically put a SIM card in your phone. Thus, you either have to buy a new phone or stay with Verizon. If you had AT&T, (Which are just as bad as Verizon) you could have switched, as they are GSM.

Xellvar

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012

I have a Micro SIM in my phone now? Verizon and Sprint like CDMA, where as everyone else is GSM.

tcb1005

Estimable
Feb 11, 2014
Here is an article for you to read. The only carrier that you could probably get it to work with is Virgin Mobile. http://theunlockr.com/2010/09/15/unlocking-101-difference-between-cdma-and-gsm/

Solution

Xellvar

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012

Totally understand what you're saying, and according to your forum...If I have a dual-CDMA/GSM phone. Or "Global" could I purchase a Straight-Talk (GSM) SIM card, pop it into my Note II, turn Note II into a network mode of; GSM/UMTS. And then activate the card? Considering my phone is claimed "Global" does that give me a GSM flash, and not JUST CDMA.

tcb1005

Estimable
Feb 11, 2014
I do believe so. Another thing to consider is if Verizon has locked your phone. I know on at&t once your contract is done they will unlock your phone, but I have no idea about Verizon.

Sep 28, 2014

Sep 28, 2014
Xellvar
I have good news for you. You can take your note 2 to straighttalk. They have a byop program bring your own phone you have to buy the kit from like Walmart go online activate it then go into your mobile networks and change it to gsm. Also must Google the apn settings for messaging and unlimited data. Any questions email me at [email address edited out]

cellfixinsmygame

Estimable
Mar 24, 2015

I was with Verizon for over 10 years and feel your pain! I recently cancelled the contract on one of my phone on our plan (iphone 5s) to try out some prepaids. I have been with straight talk for about 3 months. It required a few extra steps (changing APN etc) but its all automated. Don't listen to others you CAN go to any other plan with a verizon phone as long as it is a sim phone (almost all are now). Just order a sim online or go down to your local walmart and follow the instructions inside kit!

ausilious

Estimable
Oct 7, 2015
I've been ripped off by Verizon too. I have a note 4 which worked briliantly with a straightalk sim however after 5 days Verizon somehow deactivated my phone. Is there anyway to make it work again or am I going to have to buy a new phone