Controller Used to Find Stolen Xbox360

Status
Not open for further replies.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Is it me or is this preposterous? What if the console were already powered on? The controllers automagically sync up to any new console in range (making it easy to implement new controllers) so the alleged thief may only be guilty of leaving his console on while he was out. This kid doesn't have the serial number or ANY other evidence that the console was his?

Sorry, but there is probably one Xbox 360 for every 2 dorm rooms at a typical college, so saying "my stolen xbox is in there" and proceeding to find a powered on xbox in that room is some seriously flimsy detective work.

TheFace

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
Also, just to clarify for Joebob. Xbox 360 controllers are bluetooth controllers. They get paired up with one specific console to avoid situations like dorm confusion (many xboxes in one area). So when you take your controller down the hall to use on someone else's xbox, you have to connect it via cable to have it pair up with that xbox in order for it to work properly (wirelessly at least), and then you'll have to connect it via cable to your own xbox when you return.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Can't a "blank" controller pair up with whatever box is closest without the need for cables or sync buttons? I swear I have never had to perform such theatrics to get any of my controllers to work with my system. Just install batteries, hold the X, and it lights up.

Efrayim

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
This may be old news to you guys that read multiple tech sites for news. But this is the only one site that I read for tech stuff so I'm glad they posted it. THANKS for posting this interesting news!

LAN_deRf_HA

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
[citation][nom]Efrayim[/nom]This may be old news to you guys that read multiple tech sites for news. But this is the only one site that I read for tech stuff so I'm glad they posted it. THANKS for posting this interesting news![/citation]

I advise you find a better tech site then, most people only stop in on their way to the forums. This site is totally worthless in all other respects. Try anandtech, gizmodo, engadget, kotaku.. you'll get your news not only faster, but you'll get a hell of a lot more of it.

G

Hey JoeBob, you can't just pick up any controller and have it work. It must be paired with the console. It's a task you only need to perform once. You may forgotten all about it. If your 360 RRODs then you'll have to do it again when you receive your newly refurbished unit.

98silvz71

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
This is my school. So I heard about it before it was online, so ha.
Sorry, couldn't resist, but I did think that it was a smart way to find it. Plus at MSU you have to register the console's MAC address to the jack, if the person who stole it would have tried to hook it up to the net then MSU would have found it for him eventually even if the hard drive was formatted and personal data lost.

98silvz71

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
So the MAC address would have been saved on his network port registration page and all they had to do was look at the consoles MAC address and voila.

G

Wouldn't you want to use the serial number on the box and match that up to the console? Also how did the guy format the HDD without syncing another controller?

I'm pretty sure the sync button only sends out a signal that the controller then picks up. So even if he hit the button the original controller would still work...

I would love to see this kid try to sue, only to realize that it isnt the correct xbox.

G

bluetooth?.....cable?...automatically sync to closest system?....
oh my god really. and half you guys complain about the articles being wrong.

wrong wrong wrong

squish8294

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
It's so amazing how many people are wrong. The controller does not automatically sync with any xbox. They BOTH have to be in "pairing mode" when both the console and controller sync buttons are pressed, and the 4 quadrants light up in a spinning circle pattern, colored green.

Status
Not open for further replies.