Solved! Controlling soundbar with TV remote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2020
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forum and I apologize if this isn't the right section for this question (I was wondering if I should file this under "Audio").
I've recently bought a soundbar, a TCL TS5010.
The soundbar is connected to a Samsung tv via optical cable. The other connection options on the soundbar are Bluetooth and 3.5 mm audio jack. The soundbar does not have an HDMI port.
I wish to control the soundbar volume via the TV remote; right now it can only be controlled with its own remote.
The Samsung TV does have an HDMI ARC port.
By buying an ARC extractor, running an HDMI cable from the tv to the extractor and the optical cable from the extractor to the soundbar, would I be able to control the soundbar volume via the tv?
Otherwise, do I have other options?
The soundbar ha a USB port (for plugging in a USB stick and playing mp3s), so a friend suggested getting and HDMI to USB cable for connecting the soundbar to the tv, but would that even work?

Solution
You can't control the soundbar with the TV remote unless the soundbar has an HDMI port. An extractor won't work. USB won't work either.
To use one remote you would have to get a universal remote that can control both the TV & soundbar. The Logitech Harmony remotes could do that and will control your sources too, The entry level ones should work fine.
You can't control the soundbar with the TV remote unless the soundbar has an HDMI port. An extractor won't work. USB won't work either.
To use one remote you would have to get a universal remote that can control both the TV & soundbar. The Logitech Harmony remotes could do that and will control your sources too, The entry level ones should work fine.

Reactions: gpl94
Solution
Jun 7, 2020
Thank you! You saved me the expense of buying an ARC extractor, I'll look into universal remotes.

Status
Not open for further replies.