convert hdmi output to usb input

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 1, 2018
I have a Lenovo Stick Computer that uses HDMI output to a monitor or tv. I have an AOC portable monitor that takes USB 3.0 input. Is there any sort of adaptor that will take the HDMI output and convert it to USB input?

May 1, 2018
It is not a laptop, as I posted, it is a stick computer. As to drivers, what drivers?
I believe hang-the-9's answer is the explanation. Thanks for you input though.

I think I got your question now - you have one of these sticks, which plug directly into HDMI monitor, but the only monitor you have is this AOC with USB input.

Some of these sticks have "normal" USB connector, others have just microUSB for power. In later case, you could try getting a OTG cable with built-in USB hub and power, and try connecting that monitor. But you'll need a "normal" HDMI monitor to install drivers.

Every device connected to a computer (whether USB, or internally) needs a "driver" - piece of software to make it working. This driver could be already part of the operating system (in your case, Windows), or made available by the device' manufacturer on CD, floppy, web site, or part of Windows Update.

I would first try that USB monitor on a "standard" laptop / desktop, to make sure it works, and you know what you need.

When you say "Not working" - does Stick recognize that there's a USB device plugged in? THe only way to know is to have it up and working connected to a standard HDMI monitor/TV, then plug the USB monitor. If you see no changes, this seems that the Stick has not "seen" the monitor.

May 1, 2018
Thanks for your input, however I know all that and the monitor in question works fine when connected to my desktop and my standard laptop. I already tried installing display drivers on the stick and it still did not work.

You still haven't said whether the Stick recognizes that an USB device is plugged in. Your troubleshooting must start from here. Drivers and other stuff are afterfact.

It could be just because your Stick PC does not provide enough power for that USB monitor. Try connecting a powered USB hub between them.

May 1, 2018
Yes it recognizes several usb devices with no problem.
Curious as to why you don't agree with hang-the-9's answer.
You understand that the ONLY video output on the stick is HDMI and the ONLY monitor input is usb, right?
When the stick is plugged in a tv or monitor with hdmi it's fine. When the monitor is plugged into my desktop with usb it works fine.

I fully agree with @hang-the-9' answer, in that it explains why you can't convert from HDMI to USB.

What I'm trying for you to try is to plug that USB monitor directly into the USB port of the Stick.
On this Amazon page, third picture shows full-size USB port.
- With your Stick still plugged into a regular HDMI port, what happens when you plug the USB monitor
into that port?
- If nothing happens - have you tried a powered USB hub between the Stick, and the USB monitor?

You won't know whether you can use it as primary monitor unless you confirm it works at all.
Unless said USB monitor has separate power cord, powered USB hub will provide enough juice which your Stick probably wont.

Status
Not open for further replies.