Convert Sat network cabling to online streaming

bdatabill

Estimable
Feb 11, 2014
Have house wired with Cat6 and (2) RG6 coax cables to every room. Using a GB switch. Would like to stream/download and watch from any location. TV's have HDMI inputs. What do I need? A Roku for every TV? Seems overkill.

Solution
Then yes, you need a streaming box per TV. Roku and Chromecast are the cheapest options, chromecast requires android device to strame from though while roku is standalone.

You could use your cat to extend the hdmi from one streambox to multiple TVs, but this probably more costly then just buying stream boxes, and you would only be able to stream one thing to all the TVs
Then yes, you need a streaming box per TV. Roku and Chromecast are the cheapest options, chromecast requires android device to strame from though while roku is standalone.

You could use your cat to extend the hdmi from one streambox to multiple TVs, but this probably more costly then just buying stream boxes, and you would only be able to stream one thing to all the TVs

Solution

bdatabill

Estimable
Feb 11, 2014
I was looking at ROKU 3 so I could use the ethernet but that seems so much like overkill. I was kinda hoping that there was a software solution that allow the media server to allow select-able access but you are correct.

If your TVs are not network capable how are you going to send the data to them?

You can setup a high-quality HDMI switchbox and run HDMI cables to the rooms with the TVs from a single device . Of course that would be quite a bit more than a low end Roku box for each TV although more elegant.