Cords & Cables: Techie New Year Resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoCaDrummer

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
Rather than a couple of hundred bucks for a plastic dog that looks cheaper than my old 80's goose lamp, why not just use an inexpensive stuffed animal (e.g. a bear) which you've cut a small slit into (say where the Charmin don't leave pieces) and stuff the excess cables into the animal's cavity?
As for me, I bought a few feet of clear, flexible plastic tubing, spiral cut it, then wrapped it around my cables. A thinner-diameter tube keeps my keyboard & mouse cables from getting tangled, and a larger one keeps the video cable plus the ethernet and power cords neatly arranged. One really great advantage of this is that you can split off any cable at any point (e.g. the power for the computer is at a different spot than the power for the monitor. Of course, for power cords, it can be helpful to have an assortment of lengths to make this possible.
Oh, and the cost is about 1/1000th the price of the "Woofy". I can organize the whole house for less than the price of one of those hollow plastic dogs.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
i keep and use the plastic strips that comes with the cables when bought. it keeps all cords short and neat, for no cost.

Grims

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
[citation][nom]NoCaDrummer[/nom]Rather than a couple of hundred bucks for a plastic dog that looks cheaper than my old 80's goose lamp, why not just use an inexpensive stuffed animal (e.g. a bear) which you've cut a small slit into (say where the Charmin don't leave pieces) and stuff the excess cables into the animal's cavity?As for me, I bought a few feet of clear, flexible plastic tubing, spiral cut it, then wrapped it around my cables. A thinner-diameter tube keeps my keyboard & mouse cables from getting tangled, and a larger one keeps the video cable plus the ethernet and power cords neatly arranged. One really great advantage of this is that you can split off any cable at any point (e.g. the power for the computer is at a different spot than the power for the monitor. Of course, for power cords, it can be helpful to have an assortment of lengths to make this possible. Oh, and the cost is about 1/1000th the price of the "Woofy". I can organize the whole house for less than the price of one of those hollow plastic dogs.[/citation]

Because it would be difficult to explain to your insurance agent that your house burned down because you stuffed power bricks that need ventilation into a stuffed animal?

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
Zip ties seem like an obvious solution, right? They're very cheap, anyway. But sometimes the obvious solution doesn't work for many people--something about zip ties causes people to avoid them, or else cords wouldn't be such a mess at everyone's house. Some people are looking for an even easier and more attractive solution--these are people who can't muster the will power to remember to use zip ties :)

Rachel Rosmarin, Editor of Tom's Guide

Jynx980

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
Some very ingenious inventions here! The turnable socket and the zig zag power strip in particular. A couple of disadvantages of the wireless office are that your going to need longer cables for the connections since your going in an L shape instead of a straight line and I don't see what's to prevent the cables from tangling inside the pipe. If they knot up in there it's going to be a B to get them out. I would also say that many homes have much more cables than would fit in that pipe diameter. I would need one the size of a whale's aorta! Still, it looks great and I bet it was fun to make!

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]TomsGuideRachel[/nom]Zip ties seem like an obvious solution, right? They're very cheap, anyway. But sometimes the obvious solution doesn't work for many people--something about zip ties causes people to avoid them, or else cords wouldn't be such a mess at everyone's house. Some people are looking for an even easier and more attractive solution--these are people who can't muster the will power to remember to use zip ties Rachel Rosmarin, Editor of Tom's Guide[/citation]

I think it's the issue of how permanent zip ties are. After the sixth time you think up a new and more ingenious way to sort out the cable running to your usb pole dancer (or whatever), you have to cut all the ties again and redo them. I know several people who have gotten wires and fingers mixed up in the tie cutting, too.

G

Uh grims, when u look at the plastic dog do u see any ventilation? or even enuff room to stuff a power brick in there? coz I don't.

Additionally that hang on outlet wont work coz the unused plugs block the outlets. Lower the hooks however, and it'd work like a charm.

AltairDusk

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2003
[citation][nom]nekatreven[/nom]I think it's the issue of how permanent zip ties are. After the sixth time you think up a new and more ingenious way to sort out the cable running to your usb pole dancer (or whatever), you have to cut all the ties again and redo them. I know several people who have gotten wires and fingers mixed up in the tie cutting, too.[/citation]

This stuff works great in place of zip ties http://www.cablewholesale.com/specs/cable-management/30ct-07115.htm

Jynx980

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
Quick off topic question; I can't unsubscribe from the email alert about new comments to this story. In the email, It says to click the envelop icon in the top right corner but that just seems to be the newsletter. I have checked no under Automatic email notification in my profile but I'm still getting alerts. How can I stop receiving email alerts on this story?

Status
Not open for further replies.