Solved! Core i7 Laptop

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mark84

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Hello,

1. Which is the best laptop GPU GTS 330M or Mobility HD 5870 ?

2. Please Recommend me some Core i7 decent Laptops.

Thanks.

lotri

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
- You can always upgrade the 1066 to 1333 for a pricey $249.. but I don't think the speed increase is really that noticeable for everyday use.

- no eSATA: I'd think the hard drive is big enough to hold everything you need. Having the eSATA just makes transfer to/from an external a little faster but I don't think it's really necessary unless you're in a business where you require fast transfer speeds.

- no Firewire: I thought Firewire kinda died off in popularity?

- no Express Card slot: I'm not sure what this is used for aside from those wireless internet cards. I have one but haven't used it since I get all my wireless needs taken care of through wi-fi.

P.S. The 2.8 GHz listing for the i720-QM refers to the max core speed when Turbo Boost is active. Turbo Boost turns on/off with CPU load and is limited by CPU temperatures.

mark84

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
@lotri
- Very informative and to the point. Thanks.
- eSATA - Yes, a little less faster wouldnt matter to me at all.

Didn't know about the Intel Power Boost thingy, seems like it can kind of overclock when necessary. Thats cool. Thanks very much guys.

mark84

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Couple of more questions,
The A2 and most other laptop comes with Windows 7 Home Premium.

1. Will it effect gaming in any way ?

2. Will i be able to purchase Windows 7 Ultimate ( PC Version ) later on and isntall it on this laptop, or the OS is Asus specific ? (for ex, many Dell Laptops have their own customized version of windows which can be installed only).

mark84

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Guys, i need your help again. :(

I talked to Xoticpc (Justin) and they cant probably deliver within my time frame, i m visiting US in March and leaving on 6th April. So I guess I m out of luck on that one.

Do you know where else I can find this model ?

Please help. :(

lotri

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I think the problem is that these systems are just really new. From this forum post on xoticpc, "The first shipment of the Asus G73JH-A2 is scheduled to arrive at the Asus facility February 8th and the second shipment arrives March 2nd."

Not to mention the insanely high demand for this laptop. Google searches netted the same results at Provantage and Newegg.