Solved! Core i7 Laptop

mark84

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Hello,

1. Which is the best laptop GPU GTS 330M or Mobility HD 5870 ?

2. Please Recommend me some Core i7 decent Laptops.

Thanks.

Tunafish

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
1.) The Mobility HD 5870 BY FAR.
2.) Well, It depends on what you are looking for.
Pick A category:
-Multimedia, cheap
-Multimedia, High end
-Gaming, cheap
-Gaming, High end

do you care about design or looks? do you have any brands of preference?

mark84

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Thanks for the warm welcome and great response. :)

Well, from your resposes, I would definitely would like to go with HD5870 Laptop.

@Maziar - I like Asus Configuration, but how is Asus as a Laptop Brand ? I haven't used it before.

@Tunafish
- You can say Gaming Cheap (i think), My budget is around $1300-$1450 (will go upto $1500). But still if you got something good for its price i would like to have a look.

- Yes, i care about looks. For example i dont like the Asus Shell (the Plastic). I am currently using a Dell Inspiraon (looks great). But my first requirement is performance definitely.

- I would be happy with Core i7 720 (1.6 Ghz), 4GB/6GB RAM and 500GB HDD.

- I would like a HD 5870 definitely.

- About Brand, I would very much like your opinions. I do want a good reputed brand that will ensure quality. For example, Sony VAIO, HP, Dell. Please recommend and tell me about quality brands. I dont know much about Brands and their quality.

- Would like some recommendation about buying places as well, currently i only have New Egg in mind.

- One more point if it helps, I am willing to wait till end (say 25th) of March 2010 if something good is coming up.

I really appreciate your help on this. Thanks a lot.

None of those vendors actually make laptops. And many of them buy the products they sell from the same ODM (Original Design manufacturer).

* Quanta sells to (among others) HP/Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, Sony, Fujitsu, Acer, NEC, Gateway and Lenovo/IBM - note that Quanta is currently (as of August, 2007) the largest manufacturer of notebook computers in the world.
* Compal sells to Toshiba, HP/Compaq, Acer, and Dell.
* Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to HP/Compaq, Dell, IBM, NEC, Acer, and Lenovo/IBM.
* Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook division) sells to HP/Compaq, NEC, and Dell.
* ECS sells to IBM, Fujitsu, and Dell.
* Asus sells to Apple (iBook), Sony, and Samsung.
* Inventec sells to HP/Compaq, Toshiba, and BenQ.
* Uniwill sells to Lenovo/IBM and Fujitsu.

For the last 4 or 5 years I have been buying Clevo laptops exclusively. Clevo is an ODM who sells thru "boutique" custom build vendors like WidowPC, Alienware (pre-Dell), Sager, Pro-Star, XoticPC, VoodooPC, FalcolnNorthwest and others. Learn about Clevo here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=91510

But I wonder how long they can stay competitive with Asus and MSI who can build and sell with much larger economies of scale. Then again, the custom build option is valuable to many. Here's where I bought my last 5 Clevo laptops:

http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=product&filter=6

Both ASUS and the MSI model are good brands

Tunafish

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010

Take a look at this.
http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=96cclNAICc3JFvbP

In my point of view, this is one of the best out there. It'll play Crysis at med- high settings, and it has absolutely great speakers. And it's VERY ergonomic. It also comes with advanced features as stated in the website. Asus is the most reliable laptop brand in the world, by the way.

Don't go with HP, they have nothing to offer in ergonomics.

Lenovo is also another brand to look at, and based on your requests, I would wait until March for the Ideapad y560p which can absolutely kill any game with it's ergonomic design, powerful specs, and amazing Lenovo build quality.

If you want a good laptop that's affordable yet future-proof, I would go with the VAIO F.

I would also recommend waiting for the new Macbook Pro, but the word 'gaming' kills it. And the Asus kills the Macbook (in features, at least), anyway.

Feel free to ask questions (obviously) :D

mark84

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
@JackNaylorPE
- Thanks for the info on the brands, that was very helpful. I didnt know that Asus was a original manufacturer.
- I checked out the pro-star laptops, unfortunately i couldnt find a model with HD5870

@Maziar - Yep, i see that now.

@Tunafish
- I checked out the Asus Laptop, but its Core 2 Duo and i actually want a Core i7.
- The info regarding Asus brand was very helpful, i didnt have a good idea on it before.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644691998&N=4294953518
- Yes, i have looked into teh VAIO F, it looks great except its using NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M. Do you know if there a model with HD5870 ?

I am very interested in this Sony Laptop, but the GPU keeps me thinking. Whats your opinion ?

- Your comment on Ideapad y560p seems very interesting. However i havent found its specs on google. Do you know where i can see the specs ?

Thanks to everyone for the help so far.

Edit - I just read the Sony VAIO F reviews on the site, they are saying screen quality is horrible, any info on that ?

Tunafish

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010

Remember that even though the ATI 5870 is a great grapics card, it might be overkill. It's not good to be tempted by shiny marketing schemes, trust me, I know. Could you describe what games and applications you run? Then I can see if the Nvidia Georce 330m is good or not.

The Lenovo y560 (sorry for calling it y560p)has not been released yet but looks like this :
lenovo-ideapad-y560.jpg

These are the specs it is capable of:

Up to intel core i7
Lenovo Enhanced Experience (basically 66% faster boot times and things like that)
Up to ATI Radeon 5730 (1 GB)
the famous lenovo keyboard
multitouch trackpad
JBL-designed speakers and Dolby Home Theater surround sound
Ambient Light Sensor that automatically adjusts the PC screen brightness based on the user’s distance from the display
SlideNav (like a touch- sensitive mac os x dock on your keyboard- how cool is that?!)
HD screen
average 5 hours of battery life

I would recommend waiting until March for this to release or waiting until Asus updates their K-series.

mark84

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Hey,

That laptop looks COOL. The specs looks good as well.

About Gaming,
I am interested to play Mainly Action and Strategy Games, e.g COD series, Battlefield series, Command and Conquer Series, Splintercell Series and stuffs like that. Mostly games with lot of fire and flashes. :)

About Software,
Adobe Dreamweaver Latest, Adobe Photoshop, Apache/MySQL servers, Adobe Fireworks, Firefox browser ( usually have 30-40 tabs open ) etc.

From you recommendation, I would wait until March to see some new releases. Do you have any info on the New Asus K-Series ? a spec maybe.

Tunafish

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010

WAIT WAIT WAIT!!! take a look at this:

http://www.amazon.com/N61JQ-X1-16-I...Laptop/dp/B00352LQZS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Core i7? here you go :D

Same specs as the Lenovo but featuring a more refined look!

Well if you want to game why don't you consider the ASUS G73 and MSI GX740 that i posted ?

mark84

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
@Maziar - Yes, now that i know Asus and MSI are quality brands, i think your suggestions are excellent. I am definitely considering them. Features seem kind of perfect for me ( The Asus A2 ). Thank you.

mark84

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
okay cool.

After looking into the ASUS G73JH-A2, I am thinking of pre-ordering it.
http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g73jha2-order-p-2761.html

The only Cons i see are:
=> 1066MHz instead of 1333Mhz ( matters much ? )
=> No eSATA
=> No Firewire ( i dont need )
=> No Express card slot ( dont know what it is )

What do you guys think ? :)

Another question about Core i7 720QM (1.6 GHz), in some places they are referring to it as a 2.8 GHz processor. Are they referring to manual overclocking or is there something new in it that I m missing ?