Solved! Core i7 vs core 2 duo

tmrvc

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
I need a portable laptop and am considering a thin Intel® Core™ 2 Duo ULV Processors with 3M L2 Cache and 800MHz FSB and 4gb of ram vs a heavy core i7 with 8gb ram. Use would be photoshop, web, some video. Will the core i7 provide measureable results?

Solution
Hi tmrvc,

A i7 Processor is significantly faster than a Core2Duo. If you are going to do lots and lots of photoshop, i7 would be my choice(but note that it consumes lots of power and you'll probably find yourself to be near a power plug every once in a few hour). If you are only going to do little bit of photoshop, a Core2Duo Processor would be sufficient.

Cheers,
Holl0w :)

holl0w

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
Hi tmrvc,

A i7 Processor is significantly faster than a Core2Duo. If you are going to do lots and lots of photoshop, i7 would be my choice(but note that it consumes lots of power and you'll probably find yourself to be near a power plug every once in a few hour). If you are only going to do little bit of photoshop, a Core2Duo Processor would be sufficient.

Cheers,
Holl0w :)

Solution

tmrvc

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

Thank you!

Tml77

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
when it comes to light work such as yours, even a cheap pentium dual core would be a great choice, but if your going to be watching high quality videos, make sure to get a nice graphics card

Hard Line

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
I second Hollow's suggestion.. ( I just upgraded a desktop form core 2 duo e7200 to an i7.. worlds of difference.. but it's all in how you are going to use your computer)