Core M vs Core i5m vs Core i7m

coolkid215

Estimable
Jul 5, 2014
Hey Guys and Girls, I am going to replace my piece of rubbish (mac book pro) with a decent computer at the end of the year. I was thinking about getting a Laptop / Tablet-former with a new Core M cpu. I know about the power advantages, but what will be the real world difference compared to current i5/i7 mobile cpus. I need something that can handle gaming, rendering (only a little bit), and work such as Microsoft office.

My current S*^$ book pro spec:
4GB 1600 MHz
i5 3210m
intel HD 4000
(baaaad)

You probably did not need to know that, all I really wanted to know was your opinion on wether Core M will be up to standard for some gaming, or will 4th gen still be my best bet (keep in mind i have to have the next one for at least 2 years

popatim

Splendid
If you are planning on gaming with an intel CPU you make sure your laptop has a gaming graphics card. Unless you can find one with Intels Iris Pro integrated GPU the HD4000 is the best you can get with Intel chips. Iris Pro is on par with AMD's integrated Graphics.

coolkid215

Estimable
Jul 5, 2014

... Intel currently has HD4400 and 4600 (not iris pro) in their 4th gen. Core M has Iris pro 5600 in it.