could a SSD laptop last MUCH longer?? (I'm a beginner who needs a laptop for home and work

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
I m not very much into computer and I ve done some research on Google.

Could a SSD laptop last MUCH longer than a laptop with only 5400rpm HDD??

Could a laptop with only 5400 HDD fail quickly after a few years under normal operation? (Since it's spinning disk and a laptop could be brought around)

BTW, I 'd like to confirm, if a macbook /macbook air/ macbook pro comes with SSD hard drive? I can't find the keywords ""SSD"" on their spec. but I don't think they re still using old kinds of disks.

Thank you

Solution
You need to do some research on what SSDs really are.

Speed:
- An SSD is much faster Hard Drive (depending on the interface, SATA or PCI/M.2., the latest is almost twice as fast as SATA SSD)

With a regular hard drive (5200rpm) you get like 100MBps, a 7200rpm Hard Drive will give ~200MBps.
A SATA SSD 128GB will give you ~400MBps read and ~200MBps write. A SATA SSD 256GB will give better write speeds and a bit faster read speeds.
A PCI or M.2. SSD will give you 500MBps read/write which goes up to 1500MBps for some.

The new Macbook Pros have 1500MBps read speeds which is phenomenal. The Air comes with an SSD but I'm not sure about the speed.

Also a useful thing to know is that SSDs are QUITER, FASTER and LAST LONGER because they don't...
SSD's theoretically should last longer, however new HDD's also last quite a long time so likely not an issue. Usually something else breaks on the laptop in my experience.

All Apples new laptops use flash storage (same technology as an SSD). The Mac Book for example starts at 256GB. They are PCIe based instead of using a SATA interface but otherwise the actual chips are as reliable as an SSD.

EXPENSIVE though, and if you've never used OSX that might be a challenge as well. You might want to consider a new Windows 10 laptop instead with good quality.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013

Hi. As I said, my laptop will be brought around (sometimes turned ON) . Could this be a problem to the non-SDD spinning drive??

Do you think it's worth spending 400-500 more for a 128GB SSD drive, better monitor (Full HD) and a battery of longer working hours? However, I probably only use it for word and excel and some youtube entertainment.

In fact the only thing I am worrying is the durability of a non-SDD drive on portable computer. I know laptop is different to a desktop PC. It's not easy to replace a hardware. I might have to go through the hassle of returning and warranty....

csnoob

Estimable
Oct 14, 2014
You need to do some research on what SSDs really are.

Speed:
- An SSD is much faster Hard Drive (depending on the interface, SATA or PCI/M.2., the latest is almost twice as fast as SATA SSD)

With a regular hard drive (5200rpm) you get like 100MBps, a 7200rpm Hard Drive will give ~200MBps.
A SATA SSD 128GB will give you ~400MBps read and ~200MBps write. A SATA SSD 256GB will give better write speeds and a bit faster read speeds.
A PCI or M.2. SSD will give you 500MBps read/write which goes up to 1500MBps for some.

The new Macbook Pros have 1500MBps read speeds which is phenomenal. The Air comes with an SSD but I'm not sure about the speed.

Also a useful thing to know is that SSDs are QUITER, FASTER and LAST LONGER because they don't have any moving particles, they are not disks, the are chips!

----

I highly suggest you avoid any computer without an SSD, Hard Drives are a thing of the past, SSDs are simply superior in all aspects but price. If you are looking for a laptop and have decent budget you must aim for:

1. FHD 1920x1080, nothing less
2. SSD Storage (128GB is not enough cause you'll have like 90GB at the end for everything)

Please quote me if you have any other questions. Don;t forget to search fr any question you may have BEFORE asking.

Solution