Could the Closed Aspect of Apps Threaten the Free Internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
No,

Because development tools are moving in the absolute opposite direction of this.

Look at phoneGap. Soon every mom and pop shop will have their own mobile app and any high school kid can make their own mobile app.

Also, every single business I've run into now is 100% paranoid that the biz apps they are outsourcing contain data mining or outright information theft and as such demand to be able to see source code to ensure this is not the case.

When it comes to making mobile apps, doing it fast is what is important, so inevitably they cannot be locked down like other apps.

eg: You cannot afford to code obfuscate them properly, or your app's performance will suck.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Microsoft is pushing Metro in order to push Windows into the kiosk/closed/app-world and away from the internet. They want their 30% cut, they want ad revenue from ad-supported apps and they want more control over their platform, like Apple has.
Consumers can fight this by resisting Metro and Windows 8 and by using mobile-optimized websites instead of apps (where this is feasible).

G

This article is complete garbage. So 300 random people think apps are going to overtake the internet, big deal. That's because they are busy sucking on their thumbs playing shit like Angry Birds and browsing Facebook all day. Cmon Toms.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I wouldn't call it a threat to the internet itself at all. I would say it is a risk when it comes to phones however and tablets however. Apple for example realized a total closed system is profitable if you want to develop a game you have to go through them for acceptance to be sold which they take profits. This also leaves consumers with no option but to feed Apple more money instead of being able to buy directly. This is terrible as it gives complete control over what people can see and use and even enables favoritism instead of a fair market.

If by any chance we see censorship based on the OS that aims to blocking of certain websites or blocking news/information critical to the company or political views than we will have a very big threat and problem. A app store though isn't anything to fuss about.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I think that once HTML 4 is more entrenched / developed and the processing power of mobile devices picks up that apps are going to start declining.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Maybe we need an open standard for app development -- kind of like what html did for the internet, or even what java attempted for platform independence. A way to view the source, yet authenticate for use of service.

derekullo

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
Years 2024 Apple reaches 2 trillion market cap and proceeds to buy the internet. After buying the internet Apple releases it's own version of the internet, iNet, a self replicating machine that is able to improve itself. One year after iNet becomes operational it becomes sentient and proceeds to eliminate all threats ... Gingerbread, Honeycomb, and Ice Cream Sandwich. With android out of the picture iNet set it's sites on the only other thing that could ever challenge it's authority, Microsoft.

rumandcoke

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]If by any chance we see censorship based on the OS that aims to blocking of certain websites or blocking news/information critical to the company or political views than we will have a very big threat and problem. A app store though isn't anything to fuss about.[/citation]

this is already happening... net neutrality was intentionally nixed on all mobile networks....

rumandcoke

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
[citation][nom]hoof_hearted[/nom]Maybe we need an open standard for app development -- kind of like what html did for the internet, or even what java attempted for platform independence. A way to view the source, yet authenticate for use of service.[/citation]
device makers don't seem to favor this... all I can think of is how the blu-ray player is becoming the bane of digital video media consumption... they want to control it to milk money out of you

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
Yes i already thought of that when i read about cloud computing.
Examples.
1) Lots of people, lets face it, will download a game/program for example to play/use it offline. They will not necessarily buy it right? Piracy YARRR! In 2020 you will see all people paying a subscription to a cloud service to play hd games/ use programs because it will be cheaper than upgrading a pc every 2 years..Piracy will really go minimal and i wonder how our PCs will evolve after that.
2) I am 38 years old, i have seen the internet say since 1990, in the past 20+ years internet is really getting more controlled in many aspects (not just piracy). All the "food in the table" they provide us is really misleading actually controlling our moves in the web or at least monitoring.
Facebook, chrome browser and many other examples are just some. Add the load of extra laws towards ISPs and users to control or monitor from governments...

Definitely, the internet won't be the same in 10 years and definitely it won't make us feel free and anonymous....

Status
Not open for further replies.