Counting Crows: BitTorrent is the New Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

fightingslu

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
They only music i get anymore is albums that are giving away and have a donate whatever feature. I like supporting new bands that have potential and get to keep their sales instead of throwing away money to RIAA

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Coincidentally, the quality of music has gone downhill since music became more freely available on the internet...legally or illegally.[/citation]

Depends on what you listen to. I prefer electronic music - mostly hardstyle, jumpstyle and full-on trance - and there's tons of great music of these genres out there. I also listen to Queen, Metallica and similar old bands, and their quality either have not gone down at all (2009 album by Metallica, Death Magnetic, is epic) or they simply don't make music anymore, so nothing to worry about.

On the other hand, bands like Scooter, Infected Mushroom and a few others have definitely screwed up their last albums. so maybe you have a point...

... but you still can't say that they quality of music have gone downhill. More like, the demands of the consumers did. Most teens today won't bother with forming their own tastes, they'll just listen to what's "popular", hence so-called "artists" can get away with any crap.

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Coincidentally, the quality of music has gone downhill since music became more freely available on the internet...legally or illegally.[/citation]
Alot of mainstream music has gone downhill because the big record companies have fine tuned their strategy, making deals with popular radios (radio 1) to get their shit pumped out at ideal times and then idiot's buy them on shittunes.

A band/singer will make more money from concerts anyway. Imo just get your own website with the ability to donate and then post links to the free downloads.

atmos929

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I think you are talking about MTV

atmos929

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
"Record business was never all that great for bands. It was always a 99-percent failure rate of bands. Even if you did do well record labels took 80-percent of your revenue and locked up your rights. And they are completely incompetent,"
Where is the Dig Hammer!??... I want a poster of this... now! :)

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
ya well... Infected Mushroom have been going downhill for Years anyways

I found them at their excellent BP Empire album ^^

after that things deteriorated imho -- tried to start singing and cross genres while still pushing the new shit to the same old crowd who did not all appreciate their "evolution" ... really took the wind out of a few Great parties they played live at : /

nukemaster

Distinguished
The first thing that comes to mind when i see this is......All those "new" songs that are just hacked up oldies and even newer songs. Remakes are ok(for the most part), but just taking a sample from a song and looping it or making it into the chipmunks is just BAD.

In that point I CAN agree.

You can still get lots of good music today, just have to filter out more junk.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
"Record business was never all that great for bands. It was always a 99-percent failure rate of bands. Even if you did do well record labels took 80-percent of your revenue and locked up your rights. And they are completely incompetent," Duritz said. "On the Internet [independent] bands can survive. Perhaps they don’t become megastars, but at least they can survive and thrive. And there’s a lot of great music out there right now."
A thousand times this. The only people involved with music that are being hurt here are the labels (which can crash and burn IMO) and possibly the mega-artists. Small bands are thriving more than ever, which to me is vastly more important than the top 100, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.