Solved! CPU Hitting 90 Degrees C On MSI GE72 2QF Laptop

SmashLies

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016
So I own a MSI GE72 Apache Pro laptop and i've noticed it gets very hot while playing some games and the fans run at full speed. It hits temps up to 90 degrees C but averages around 80. Is this normal or okay? Will it damage anything? I've read a lot of people say its normal for these laptops to get that hot when gaming but I want to be sure so I dont break anything. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

No that isn't normal. That is very high. Yes, overheating can do a lot of damage. A little overheating is normal when doing heavy gaming, but that isn't a little.

If the laptop is under warranty, then I would contact the manufacturer about a repair.

If it isn't under warranty anymore, then you should open it up and clean out all the dust and debris. That may well fix your issue. If not, then you may need to replace that thermal paste. Should that not work, I would start looking at component replacements, starting with fans.

SmashLies

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016

Well I just turned power settings to balanced in windows and now the cpu temp isnt going over 75....so maybe that was a problem. Im also going to change the thermal compound tomorrow morning. Hopefully that helps! Thanks PS. I bought this used so no warranty is available.

SmashLies

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016

Okay so i put on new thermal paste, (I am skilled in this, I've done it a million times) and now the temps are around 77-82 C just playing someone as simple as Minecraft..

SmashLies

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016

Well i also just did a bios update and now my temps are a lot better. More around 65-70. Im also going to order a nice laptop cooling pad tomorrow. The fans seems to be working well and its very clean inside. No dust anywhere.

SmashLies

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016

I actually did replace the thermal paste on the cpu. How long does it normally take to set and see results?