CPU max frequency drops randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.

reindreind

Commendable
Feb 13, 2016
Hi all,

pretty new asus x556uq laptop (i7-7500u, 8gb, geforce 940MX, win10-64) gives me random drops in maxmimum CPU frequency (as dispalyed in resource monitor). Noticable during gaming by some lagging, the maximum frequency drops to about 10ish % and returns to 100% after 30 sec. I have the feeling there might be some 'smart' CPU resource allocating thingy messing around, but I'm nto sure.

Temperatures are OK, drivers/BIOS updates, high performance settings, no noticeable background processes.

Last resort is try a full OS reset, but I hate those unless really necessary. Am I missing something

edit: did a full OS reset, seemed to be stable on battery. When plugged in, it started happening again (checked power settings with regard to plugged in, nothing weird, all set to max when plugged in).

reindreind

Commendable
Feb 13, 2016

Thanks for the response, but power settings are all optimal, cooling is @ active, CPU states to 100%.

Jocorta

Prominent
Jul 14, 2017
I have the exact same laptop, and the exact same problem. Temperatures are good, everything in high performance, all drivers updated and I still cant figure out a way to fix this.

misir312

Prominent
Jan 14, 2018

Have you found the solution? I have the same trouble. I am tired of waiting my laptop to get full charge to play.

Did you try what I said?

Have you checked the temps while the laptop is charging as the laptop will heat up more when it is being charged?
Also is the battery new?

Status
Not open for further replies.