CPU Maximum Frequency stays at 23%

Albert T

Estimable
Dec 21, 2015
Hello,
The past few days I've noticed my laptop is going slower so I can't even check Facebook or play low-resource games like Minecraft but this happens suddenly and it's pretty annoying...Sometimes it goes like normal and suddenly everything starts to lag and it stays for hours then goes like normal for an hour and then lag again..

After investigating I noticed in the Resource Monitor that when the lag comes the cpu maximum frequency shows 23% and when there is no lag it goes up to around 100%

The problem is that when my pc needs more cpu the maximum frequency stays at 23% and doesn't go up when needing more. I know that it goes down to save power and prevent overheating but it should go up when needed, and whenever I need it to go up, it doesn't. It stays when I check Facebook or play Terraria, so I can't do either things.(No, the cpu is not overheated nor the battery is low).

I would like to know if there is anyway to fix it or if there might be something that could be causing this problem; I just hope is not the cpu dying since this laptop is barely 2 years old. Can't be that I upgraded to Windows 10 because that was months ago and this problem has been happening to me since last week.

I've got:

HP Laptop 15 f-004wm

Cpu: Intel Celeron N2830 2.16GHz

Thank you...

Albert T

Estimable
Dec 21, 2015
This discovery i had might sound confusing but its this:

When i unplug the AC, AND restart the pc, the lag gets fixed and resource monitor shows 100% maximum frequency.
As soon as i plug the charger again, the maximum frequency drops to 23% and the lag comes back...

This just confuses me more and if i dont find a solution then i will be stuck with just being able to use it with battery power.

Albert T

Estimable
Dec 21, 2015

Not really the voltmeter but i know a friend who has the same laptop, he lives pretty far but if i get a chance i will ask him for it. As long as up to now i undestand that it might be the charger because when i connect it the performance drops because the pc switches the power to the charger rather than the battery and if the charger does not give enough power then the performance might be affected by it.

Albert T

Estimable
Dec 21, 2015

I always have it on maximum performance and i'd not been having problems before.