CPU Overheating Issues

XAshKetchumX

Estimable
Feb 20, 2014
I bought this sexy ass MSI GT70 two months back and now this isn't an issue for me, but it maybe in the future.

During rendering, my CPU tends to nearly peak up at 100 degrees celsius and my cooling pad (Cooler Master Notepal X3) isn't changing those temps as I wished and the ability to ramp up my fans to nearly 5000 RPM seems to piss off my friends during a skype call. Now I haven't cleaned out my laptop yet, but I soon will. I just need to know if there are any possible ways that may help? This CPU btw always turbo boosts up to 3.5GHZ (or more) depending on how much workload I'm doing on my laptop. I just seriously wish MSI would think outside the box and have 1 separate fan cooling the CPU and GPU each.

Solution
The turbo boost can be disabled from the BIOS and should be listed under "speed step", there's a screen shot in this thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1718268/turbo-boost-speed-step-working-gaming.html

I also found a forum that suggests to adjust your processor settings in Windows power management: "go to your power options, change your current plan settings, click the advanced section, expand the Processor Power Management section, click the Maximum Processor State, and change it to something other than 100%."

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/527022-how-turn-off-intels-turbo-boost-reduce-heat-system.html

Venderbender

Estimable
Nov 11, 2014
Have you tried turning the turbo boost off? I've read that it can help with CPU temps. But cleaning out any dust from the heat sink fan should help, and while you have it opened you could even buy some good thermal paste and reapply it to your CPU

XAshKetchumX

Estimable
Feb 20, 2014

I could've just repasted the CPU, but with what happen the last time, I don't think I should just do it yet. Would the turbo boost option would be under the bios? If it is, I would need some help because I can't seem to find where that option is.

Venderbender

Estimable
Nov 11, 2014
The turbo boost can be disabled from the BIOS and should be listed under "speed step", there's a screen shot in this thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1718268/turbo-boost-speed-step-working-gaming.html

I also found a forum that suggests to adjust your processor settings in Windows power management: "go to your power options, change your current plan settings, click the advanced section, expand the Processor Power Management section, click the Maximum Processor State, and change it to something other than 100%."

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/527022-how-turn-off-intels-turbo-boost-reduce-heat-system.html

Solution

XAshKetchumX

Estimable
Feb 20, 2014

Ah, thanks. Btw, I have some Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste laying around. If I decided to repaste my CPU, would you think that thermal paste would drop the temperatures drastically?

Venderbender

Estimable
Nov 11, 2014
Np. I think reapplying some of that good paste you have would help dissipate the heat, not sure by how much though. Let me know if you do repaste, I'm interested to hear how much your temps drop :) I'll be doing the same thing in a few days with an old laptop

XAshKetchumX

Estimable
Feb 20, 2014

Sure man! Thanks for the help, gladly appreciate it! :)

XAshKetchumX

Estimable
Feb 20, 2014

Ok, so I replaced the thermal paste and the results came back positive! Suprisingly, my temperatures dropped 8-10 degrees celsius which was FUCKING AMAZING. My idling temps for the CPU used to be around 59-65 degrees, but now it's at the 49-53 degrees range. I guess this was really worth it.

Venderbender

Estimable
Nov 11, 2014
That's awesome! I finally got around to reapplying some arctic silver to and old gateway laptop and my temps also dropped around 10-15 degrees! Don't think I'll ever go back to stock paste

XAshKetchumX

Estimable
Feb 20, 2014

Haha! Same here with me!