CPU temp and fan control utilities contain viruses??

veryscreaming

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
Hello,
The CPU fan on my HP desktop is constantly turning on and off; BIOS shows it averaging 4500 rpms. Task Manager processes indicate nothing fishy, so I wanted to find utilities to monitor CPU temp and control fan speed.

Core Temp and Speedfan seemed right for the job yet every time I try to download them--and I've tried several sites--my NOD32 jumps up and warns of viruses...sometimes a warning, sometimes flat out denial of access.

I'm wondering if anyone knows a) where I can get a clean download of these utilities, or b) if I should ignore the warnings and download anyway (a cnet forum from several years ago tested and found no virus), or c) better alternative utilities without this drama.

Thanks to all in advance!

Solution
I use those software and I did download from the sites in the link. They are clean and not virus. And I don't use the NOD32 and sometime the antivirus software will give some warning, but in those site you just ignore the warning if you got one.

Core temp: http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
Speedfan: http://www.download366.com/speedfan?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=336_Display-USA-Otros&utm_term=speedfan&utm_content=SpeedFan_366_JaviGoogle_US_K=speedfan_CP=336_Display-USA-Otros&placement=www.almico.com&target=&adposition=none

cin19

Distinguished
I use those software and I did download from the sites in the link. They are clean and not virus. And I don't use the NOD32 and sometime the antivirus software will give some warning, but in those site you just ignore the warning if you got one.

Core temp: http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
Speedfan: http://www.download366.com/speedfan?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=336_Display-USA-Otros&utm_term=speedfan&utm_content=SpeedFan_366_JaviGoogle_US_K=speedfan_CP=336_Display-USA-Otros&placement=www.almico.com&target=&adposition=none

Solution

veryscreaming

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012

Cin, thank you so much: those links worked great, I've downloaded both programs without incident. My NOD32 got upset with the Core Temp download (I ignored it) but SpeedFan downloaded without a virus warning.

Now, to figure out how to shut up my noisy CPU fan!

corky1000

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
My pc got infected by downloading a link to speedfan found in the comments section here.
It's called visualbee.
AVG toolbar at least allows clean internet searches, though the visualbee is controlling other searches.

corky1000

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013

Maybe I clicked on a different link, though.
I'll try to find the one I clcked on.
It's definitely not as you describe, that is, just a warning but no bad effects.

What my pc got was the nasty visualbee infection.

corky1000

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
The visual bee doucheware was actually in the cnet installer.
They do that stuff now !
Surprise!

Say you want Advanced Systems Care. If you go to IOBIT, then it sends you to the cnet page with no doucheware installer, and it says "Welcome Advanced Systems Care Users!".
But if you just go through cnet downloads, you get the doucheware installer from cnet

corky1000

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
CNET now installs crapware unless you go the the publisher's site and they send you to CNET.
If it's got no crapware the page says, for example. "Welcome Advanced Systems Care Users", if IOBIT sends you to the ASC download page at CNET.
If you go straight to CNET for Advanced Systems Care you get the doucheware.

Malwarebytes takes it out though.

tbgoog

Estimable
Dec 16, 2014
WARNING: DO NOT INSTALL THIS PROGRAM !!

I downloaded cpu temp from http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ and I got a whole lot junkware on my system: a bobrowser and a magic program called hpui.exe that restarted automatically when killed....
Plus, it hijacked my browsers ... an unbelievable mount of cr*p for small utility I wanted to install !!!

There are only two programs that can remove this junk from your system: anti-malware bytes mamba and adwcleaner.

good luck !!

Shame on alcpu for putting this junk together and abusing the well-earned respect the previous owners of this software had.

try to avoid this headache if you can.

mainframegeek

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2015
I've updated Coretemp on 2 of my 3 PCs in the last week. Both showed signs of the SAPE.Somoto.21 virus (indicated by Norton) soon after - the 3rd PC, which wasn't updated, hasn't shown these signs.

ravengangrel

Estimable
Mar 7, 2015
Just to be fair, I just downloaded Core Temp, and YES, it has a shitload of crapware, BUT the installer asks for permission to install it (in a really confusing and user-unfriendly way, BTW) but you can avoid it if you're careful.

Anyway I find HWMonitor works better in my system.

mainframegeek

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2015

I've skipped all the crapware - I can understand one, but it's a little OTT here - but, CoreTemp itself seems to be carrying something nasty. Not definite, but it seems a reasonable conclusion, certainly worth a decent check.