Asus N750JV CPU overheating & Fan Control

pippokeraki

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013
Hi all

I own an Asus N750JV laptop with Windows 8.1 (I always installed OS and Drivers from fresh). Laptop used to run well and CPU was kept mostly cool by the fan also under slightly intensive use (videos, photoshop editing).

I recently upgraded to an SSD and reinstalled the OS as well as updated drivers. Something went obviously wrong: the CPU reaches 99 degrees (check with OpenHardwareMonitor and other similar software) and the case becomes VERY hot.This happens even just by surfing the web or idling. When the CPU hits 99 degrees, there are no programs or services that take more than 1% of CPU power.

It looks like that the fan does its job for a while, adjusting its speed to the CPU temperature - generally ranging from 65 to 80 degrees. Then something happens and the fan speed remain stuck at low level and the CPU gets hotter and hotter.

I have tried to gain control of the fan but it looks like it is not possible on this Asus (also no option in the BIOS). Do you have any idea of what the issue might be or how to cope with it, as my search on google did not return helpful results.

Many thanks!!

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- First, please do put the original HDD back in your laptop and see if the same problem will persist or not.
- If installing the original HDD back in the laptop will result to the same problem, please do open the laptop and remove the dust off the fans and apply new thermal paste on the CPU and see if that will make any difference.
- Do also check if your laptop has the latest BIOS version installed already. (BIOS 210 is the latest version available in ASUS support site)
- Here's the link: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/N750JV/N750JVAS210.zip?_ga=1.263042958.305422646.1455979617
- If all these will not work, please do another clean install of Windows that may help in solving the issue.