CPU throttling on windows but not on linux

aggarwal.yash2011

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017
I have windows and arch dual booted on my system.
I have been experiencing high cpu temperatures and throttling on windows even on low load(30-40%). Even when watching videos on youtube, or playing some rpg-maker games, the whole system gets really laggy for 3-5 seconds at random intervals. I even tried cleaning the laptop thoroughly and reapplying the thermal paste. It reduced throttling a bit, but not by much.
The temperatures shoot upto 80 degrees.
On linux, I noticed that it wasnt lagging at all while doing same tasks.

I would really appreciate any kind of help. Thanks

Specs:
Asus - x556uqk
i5 - 7200U (2.5GHz)
8 GB ram
Nvidia 940mx GPU

darksky1x

Prominent
Oct 19, 2017
80 degrees is not that hot for a CPU. Actually, it's rather cool.

You need to realize that Windows OS are extremely "resource" hungry. Windows has so much useless, unnecessary junk apps and programs running in the background that there's not much left for the necessary apps and programs to use. Download a copy of Linux Mint and the make a USB boot drive with Linux Mint as the OS. Linux Mint is the 4th most popular OS in the world right now and still climbing. It is extremely user friendly and similar in look and feel to Windows without all thee unnecessary junk apps.

I've used Linux Arch, matter of fact it's installed on my wife's computer. Since all she ever dose is surf and use social media it works just fine for her, however Arch is not a very user friendly version of Linux. Fact is Arch can be a real pain in the A$$ anytime you want to do anything that requires root privileges.

Also Arch is very limited as far as programs and additional software is concerned and only has a few thousand available. Linux Mint has more than 46,000 additional programs available, such that anything you can do on Windows there's a Linux Mint program that can do the exact same thing. In many cases the Linux Mint program is much better.

Of course it all comes down to preference and you must decide what works best for you. Make a USB boot drive with Linux Mint and I think you just might like what you see.