Solved! CPU Usage limited to 22%?

Jul 27, 2018
So when I use my computer and I do heavy tasks like video editing, my CPU hits 100% usage and gets respectable temps of around 60-75C while rendering (this is Balanced Performance Mode, by the way). However, the moment I plug in my laptop, my CPU usage in Task Manager will never exceed 22% (0.60GHz) and my temps drop down to 50-60 (and this is still balanced performance mode, by the way). And the moment, I unplug it, my CPU usage hits 100% and my temps rise to 60-75C. Could this have something to be with the battery? By the way, I don't know if this helps, but I found it weird, my laptop has a 97W battery and my laptop charger is only rated at 60W. Could that be the problem? (I don't think this is thermal throttling either)

Solution
Something is messed up in one of the power management settings somewhere (sometimes there is a separate one in the BIOS).

As for the 97 watt-hour battery, that just means your 60w charger would never be able to charge it from flat in one hour--it would probably take two when the computer is off and much longer than that when it is powered on.

BFG-9000

Respectable
Sep 17, 2016
Something is messed up in one of the power management settings somewhere (sometimes there is a separate one in the BIOS).

As for the 97 watt-hour battery, that just means your 60w charger would never be able to charge it from flat in one hour--it would probably take two when the computer is off and much longer than that when it is powered on.

Solution
Jul 27, 2018

I checked my power plan and in advanced power settings, everything seemed usual. The minimum CPU usage was at 5% and maximum 100% both on battery and plugged in. And, I'll dig into the BIOS and see if there's anything for power settings.