Crackling/static noise in speakers and headphones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

flamingflamingo

Estimable
Aug 27, 2014
I'm beginning to notice that there's a somewhat quiet but definite crackling sound in my headphones and speakers, which gets worse if I move my mouse, scroll through pages, or pretty much anything going on in my monitor. It gets much worse if my monitor is displaying anything intensive, like a full screen video or a videogame.

I've tried three pairs of headphones, one set of speakers, with both the front and back jacks on my PC, and I still get this noise.

It MIGHT be related to my (corded) keyboard. I used to have it plugged into the front USB port, next to my audio jack, but I moved it around to the back because it made the headphones buzz. Now that hte keyboard is plugged into the back, I no longer hear the buzz, but I'm still getting quiet static. I've used this same keyboard for a long while without any problems.

Is this a common problem? Is there anything I can change in software that would fix this? Or perhaps I need to clean out my computer tower? Any advice would be appreciated. I want to know what's causing this problem. If it is my keyboard, I'd like to know why it's an issue (something wrong with my motherboard maybe)?

I do not have a separate soundcard.

flamingflamingo

Estimable
Aug 27, 2014
Sorry for the late answer. I custom built my PC awhile back and I couldn't use software to check my motherboard. Kept forgetting to check the splash screen on start up.

It's an Asrock A55M.

It's had a weird hardware conflict with two plug and play pieces, including an xbox controller and a Razor Deathstalker keyboard. It's hit or miss with the controller, but the keyboard would prevent startup from moving past the splash screen, which replaced the BIOS startup screen.

I could have looked into it (thinking on it, I never tried pressing F1 to see if it was waiting for input, I already replaced the keyboard [entirely because I spilled some syrup on it and the keys are now sticky]) but I never had the willpower.

RarJacob

Estimable
Aug 1, 2015
thankfully all i had to do for this issue for me is go into my properties and disable all enhancements, it was driving me insane. i had to unplug my speakesr and when i plugged them back in i noticed it maybe it was going on before that who knows, becuase even when i tried my headphone port on the front of the tower it was going on. but at least its gone now. i was not using any enchacements i dont believe so its all good.

Jeshin

Estimable
Jan 25, 2016
My speakers did that, so did my headphones when i plugged them in. This confused me because i was using those earphones earlier with no issue. tested them in phone again and fine. After some testing it turned out to be the on-board sound (i never got a separate sound card.)

All my audio jacks were resulting in issues no matter what hardware was used. My computer has dealt with a lot of shorts and issues and me constantly pulling it apart and putting it back together to diagnose a recurring issue. so I'm not surprised i damaged something in all these months. (the recurring issue has never had audio problems. Just shorts that the warranty lot/local techs could not diagnose either, but essentially has nothing to do with this issue so don't bother asking about it.)

If you're lucky like me, you'll find your monitor via hdmi, has it's own audio jacks, essentially solving this problem until i get a sound card... or possibly just solving it, I do very little work with audio and don't require much in that vein.

B Boy_

Commendable
May 7, 2016
I've found a solution to the problem. Yesterday, If I plugged in any headphones into my laptop I'd get a kind of static/crackling noise. All you have to do is right click on the speaker icon on your taskbar and click on "troubleshoot sound problems"
It should then check for any problems with your audio. It asked me to turn off enhancements so I clicked the tab and ticked disable enchancements. When I plugged my headphones in there was no crackling!
I don't know if the will help but it worked for me.
I did't have my headphones plugged in while fixing the problem so I suggest you leave them unplugged unti you have finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.