Crash involving screen distortion or sudden reboot when playing online games

NiekSchmidt

Estimable
Apr 7, 2015
Hi guys,

Just recently I opened up my HP g7 to clean out the fan/heatsink area, as it was running hot constantly. Removed some nice dustballs and put it back together.

That's when it went wrong; The system starts and runs just fine, I can watch Youtube, listen to Spotify, browse the web and run all sorts of offline programs. However, when I kill some time by playing flash games online on Armorgames.com, my laptop consistently and inevitably crashes, with a very weird screen distortion and buzzing sound.

At first I thought it was flash/unity player related, but I removed and reinstalled those, and the problem persists.
My event viewer says the following: "Kernel power, Event ID 41, Task Category 63"
- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 2

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2015-04-07T12:02:45.384024400Z

EventRecordID 978651

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer Laptop

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0

I'm stumped, can any of you make more sense of this? My apologies for the long post.

Thanks a bunch,

Niek

Solution
You originally opened it to clean around the CPU fan area have you accidentally moved/knocked the heat sink and the thermal paste on the CPUis no longer making proper contact with the CPU therefor cannot cool it adequately. If a load is put on the CPU and it gets too hot it will cut power off to save the CPU from frying,
Thermal paste with age dries and cracks. Artic Silver 5 last longer than others but they all dry up with age.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqOjzPhhfeQ

Im Spartacus

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015
Wikipedia states
(The 0x8000000000000002 error may be caused by windows system files damage.
The corrupted system files entries can be a real threat to the well being of your computer).
The buzzing and screen issues sound like something electrical interfering with or on your motherboard as it only happens
when playing flash games? You could have corrupt display drivers that can cause this issue first I would either try system restore
or downloading and re installing your drivers then run a memory checker or it could be an electrical issue
I would check your power supply or where you had you laptop open there maybe a loose cable/connector?
Check the board where he power supply plugs into.

NiekSchmidt

Estimable
Apr 7, 2015
Ok, So I updated all the drivers, but haven't had time to open it up again to check out if there's any loose connectors on the MB.
The good news is that it no longer crashes with screen distortion and buzzing noises, the bad news is that it NOW crashes by just suddenly shutting down.

Strangely, the event viewer returns the exact same kernel-power error. It seems to only occur when the CPU fan is ordered to increase it's RPM to deal with an increased load of the CPU. I think my MB is knackered.

Im Spartacus

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015
You originally opened it to clean around the CPU fan area have you accidentally moved/knocked the heat sink and the thermal paste on the CPUis no longer making proper contact with the CPU therefor cannot cool it adequately. If a load is put on the CPU and it gets too hot it will cut power off to save the CPU from frying,
Thermal paste with age dries and cracks. Artic Silver 5 last longer than others but they all dry up with age.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqOjzPhhfeQ

Solution