Tor Jakobsen

Estimable
Jan 10, 2015
[strike]I chose to put this post in Windows 10 forum, as i had no idea where else to put it. Feel free to move it[/strike].

Specs:
MSI GT72 2qe;
i7 4720HQ
GTX 980M
8 Gb 1600 MHz ram
2x 128 Gb ssd in raid
1 Tb hdd
Windows 10

Alright, so this is a new one:
I was playing a game, when suddenly my computer crashed, no bsod, no nothing, screen just went black and fans stopped spinning. Luckily, even there was no bsod error, windows logged an error "unexpected shutdown", this is how it looks (XML format):
- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="EventLog" />
<EventID Qualifiers="32768">6008</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-10-21T08:14:32.923157500Z" />
<EventRecordID>3618</EventRecordID>
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>DESKTOP-M1JAP8D</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data>10:11:42</Data>
<Data>‎21-‎10-‎2016</Data>
<Data />
<Data />
<Data>9</Data>
<Data />
<Data />
<Binary>E0070A00050015000A000B002A009902E0070A000500150008000B002A0099023C0000003C000000010000003C00000000000000201C00000100000000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

I have NO idea what caused this, because it happened again just after the login screen when i booted the computer again. So yes, the computer is working and i am writing this from it now, but i would still like to know what could have caused this, as i think crash without BSOD is worse than crash with bsod (i am afraid that it is hardware issues..). I read somewhere else that you can do a virus scan or SFC scan. The SFC scan didn't find anything, windows defender didn't either, however, Malwarebytes found something rather odd, don't know if it has anything to do with the topic.
My "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts" file is apparently a malware, not a "unwated file" as malwarebytes would say, nah, directly "Malware", i am using hosts file for certain things, maybe that's why? (i am sure that what i am using it for has nothing to do with virusses). I am not going to delete hosts file... but maybe some of you know if it is related to my crashes.. (keep in mind last time i edited hosts file was a few months ago, so that "malware" must have been there for a while)

Anyways back to topic, maybe it is hardware related? This is how my I7 4720HQ looks on normal startup (ambient temp is 22 celsius):
(for some reason it wont let me show the picture so here you go with a link): https://gyazo.com/680aa1f9f9928e23dc063fa2182b4ccd

T-junction is 100 celsius which is just what core #2 reaches on a NORMAL STARTUP, although my I7 4720HQ always runs high when playing CPU required games (always reached minimum 90 celsius) i think it's high for a normal startup, also considering i have extra coolers beneath my laptop. I have never opened my laptop before (still got warranty, and there is a freaking warranty plate in front of one of the screws, so i can't open the thing to clean it without loosing warranty :pfff:).
So, what is the cause of this? Any specific fixes you guys know? Keep in mind it happened two times, first time with logged error from windows and then after i started the laptop again just when i logged in. And please do tell me if you think it is hardware related.. i would very much like my laptop to get a bit of "service" under warranty ;).

Solution
Conduit is very common and causes this. Look in your add/remove programs to see if you see anything with that program name. ESET should pick this up. Do you have a current paid for antivirus program installed? If not, I'd give the ESET full security suite a try as I have two customers that ALWAYS called me every 8-12 weeks with viruses and that stopped once I installed ESET.

englandr753

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
If your system will run well enough to do this, go here:

https://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/

That's simply the best antivirus around imo. If it doesnt pick anything up, Id go with it being a hardware issue and run to the place you bought it and let them tell you differently.

Good luck!

Tor Jakobsen

Estimable
Jan 10, 2015

BUMP btw.. ;)

Hey Englandr753, thanks for replying. Tried all that now, PLUS i my pc got a "few days younger" because i reverted it back to before the events happened. No crashes anymore atleast. BUT, i noticed something else, which i think has something to do with the crashes, i freaking got advert "viruses" on my computer (those were you get random search bar in your browser, or random adds pop up). Everytime i virus scan the computer, it finds these viruses, removes them, but they keep coming back, this was after reverting (and before). The reason i think this has something to do with the crashes is because it actually started when my pc started crashing. These advert viruses apparently now disabled microsoft edge, which they also did just before i reverted my computer. When i open microsoft edge, it crashes, i however can use other browsers (i imagine that it installed a search bar which microsoft edge does not like).
It also disables the windows search function, so i can't quick search for programs and files in the search bar at the down left corner. Now i once again started a virus scan to see the outcome.. this time i just started a full virus scan with windows defender, malwarebytes and the software you recommended... gonna let it stay all night. The annoying thing is, i think the virus installed itself at a location that won't be affected by reverting the computer back.. Aka the virus keeps installing the advert programs and just stays there messing with my pc (for some reason anti-virus can't find the source??). I really dont want to do the "easy" solution, which is reinstalling windows..

Someone knows anything about this? It annoys me that i can't either find any unusual process/software/service in the task mananger, so it must be "hidden", looking/named as another legit process/software/service running...

Ps: i just figured out that when malwarebytes removes the advert programs (not the source), it triggers something (probably the source) and then my search bar nor microsoft edge works anymore..

englandr753

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
Conduit is very common and causes this. Look in your add/remove programs to see if you see anything with that program name. ESET should pick this up. Do you have a current paid for antivirus program installed? If not, I'd give the ESET full security suite a try as I have two customers that ALWAYS called me every 8-12 weeks with viruses and that stopped once I installed ESET.

Solution