Create a 5.1 surround system with active speakers directly on the motherboard?

stephanisk

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Hi,

I have been doing some research but can not find a similar subject anywhere, hence my question.

I want to create a 5.1 surround system with active speakers connected to the audio jacks on my motherboard ( GA Z68 ud7 b3 ) which has basically 7.1 surround.

Only i wonder if it is possible to create a 5.1 surround sound while playing movies. I dont want to use a typical logitech or creative 5.1 setup, i want to buy serious speakers that produce a serious sound.

I would like to buy 5 active studio monitors ( active speakers, with balanced XLR input and 6.35mm jack input ) and one active subwoofer with same inputs.

If i connect every speaker to 1 jack output of my motherboard ( realtek audio), will i be able to set this up as a 5.1 surround system with front left, front right, front center, rear right, rear left and one as subwoofer.

I dont want to put any amp or 7.1 hdmi receiver in between, just direct signal output from the motherboard to the speakers.

I want this for 2 reasons, i can play serious music on this thing with a maximum spl of up to 120 DB and the quality of music will be superb, secondly i want to be able to enjoy a good movie with superior sound quality in 5.1.

Can someone help me to set this up please?

Regards,

Stephane