Creating a game engine

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
How hard is it to create a game engine? ive never done programming but im interested in computers and can put a computer together, i thought of a really good original idea for a game today and decided im gonna make it, idk the first steps to even doing something like this except learning about programming, so any advice would be great.

PS: i want to create my one game engine bcuz i dont want to use someone elses and have to pay them money, im willing to go to all the lengths to do so cuz my idea is this great, thank you

Solution
I think you have no idea what you're getting yourself into.
If you've got now only interest in programing, there is no way you can do it, except maybe in about at least 5 years if you can master C++, a selected API, the needed math and a lot of concepts of how computer graphics and engines in general work.
There are a lot of open sorce engines that you don't have to pay to use or pay to distribute it with games. For instance Ogre, Horde, Irricht or you can use directly an API like DirectX or OpenGL.
But take it easy, first of all learn how to programm. If you are really interested in programming games and engines, you have to learn C++.

theDanijel

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
I think you have no idea what you're getting yourself into.
If you've got now only interest in programing, there is no way you can do it, except maybe in about at least 5 years if you can master C++, a selected API, the needed math and a lot of concepts of how computer graphics and engines in general work.
There are a lot of open sorce engines that you don't have to pay to use or pay to distribute it with games. For instance Ogre, Horde, Irricht or you can use directly an API like DirectX or OpenGL.
But take it easy, first of all learn how to programm. If you are really interested in programming games and engines, you have to learn C++.

Solution

Ijack

Distinguished
Yeah, it's going to take you a while. There are so many books and articles on the web about this sort of thing that I have to wonder how serious you are. Have you done any research?

Anyway, in the time it takes you to learn how to program there is a good chance that someone else will come up with the same idea and beat you to it. Either team up with someone who knows about this sort of thing already or, as already suggested, use an open-source engine. But first of all you have to be prepared to do a little research.

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

I am serious about this, and i dont have enough time during weekdays to research through 3 0 pages of google searches, so i figured i would ask on Tom's first and then try searching on the weekend, im gonna buy a c++ book on amazon right now

Ijack

Distinguished
Find someone to work in partnership with. If you don't have time to do the research I think you are going to be hard pressed to write your own game engine in a reasonable time. Someone else will come up with your idea and put it on the market before you have time to perfect it.

Mr_____

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
Ok, by that I meant: check out the program Game Maker.
@Ijack: I wouldn't say someone else is going to come up with the exact same idea as him. I just don't see how repeating that helps. Many people have what they think is a great idea for a game (every teenage boy I've ever known), and I would like to encourage johndud to actually try to make it.
Also, johndud: do you not live near a library?

Ijack

Distinguished
Well I don't see how repeating Game Maker helps either, but there you go.

I am quite serious in saying that in the time it takes to learn to program a good, efficient game engine there is a very good chance that.... Oops; nearly said it again. I wouldn't want to annoy you.

Both of us are suggesting that johndud uses an existing game engine, or the knowledge of someone else, to realize his game. If you don't knock my suggestion I won't knock yours.

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

I do live near a library but i have 60 dollars in fines from there, ya i know its stupid but i forgot i had the books for a long time. I am gonna need some help to make the game in a reasonable time, and i am very aware you guys that programming is supposedly hard, but i have to learn this stuff one day so i might as well do it now

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

Also idk if the things that i want to do in my game are possible with someone elses game engine, except for maybe the creation engine for skyrim, but then again i also next to nothing about game engines so if i were to use any engine i would probly choose source cuz alot of games use it, and it seems to be pretty stable, i have alot of research to do