Creating a game

andrei09able

Estimable
Oct 28, 2014
Hi.Can someone recommend some free tools for creating video games?I don't want to create anything crazy I just want to start low and go on from there.I don't have any experience in making games but I love them and I want to have a go at creating my own game. I tried searching online for guides but most of them are about choosing the best tools[which I understand is very important] but not actually give any links or names for said tools...or about creating a team.
I want to try and make a small 2D side scrolling game,nothing too crazy.
Also if you can link some sort of tutorial for beginners that would be great.

Solution

Hi,

Creating a game from scratch is a very long process. I get asked this question quite a bit so I usually recommend...

007agentHP

Estimable
Jul 3, 2014
there is no easy way without limitiations. learn a programming language.
i recommend java. spend about 8 months on it and then try to write a game engine.
i spend 1 year and 4 months and the furthest ive ever gotten was a basic 3d camera and a wall generator
http://www.learnjavaonline.org/ this will get you started with the basics.
work off on its own and begin.

if you want to work within limitations, then learn the java and used a library like LWJGL which will allow you to add openGL technology to really utilize the graphics card.

Pinhedd

Distinguished

Hi,

Creating a game from scratch is a very long process. I get asked this question quite a bit so I usually recommend two approaches. Both are excellent for learning, which one you choose is up to you.

1. Pick up a simple imperative programming language and start learning it from the ground up. Creating a text based adventure game in BASIC is a great way to start. It won't be much, but it'll be something of your own creation. Avoid jumping into more verbose modern languages such as Java, C#, and C++ because you'll just get confused. Pick up a simple language, learn the fundamentals of programming, and work from there. The best tools to start with are no tools at all.

2. If you're not comfortable learning a programming language, there are some commercial tools such as RPGMaker which can be used to create games with very little prior knowledge. These tools aren't free, and what they can produce is quite restrictive, but they're fun to play with and are a good motivating tool.

Solution