Creative Sound Blaster Wireless WoW Headset

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquid0h

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
While I'm sure the sound quality is right on cue as you said Devin, I can't agree with the looks. That one LED WoW symbol on the side looks like something out of Disney: The Lion King. Maybe if they came out with a non WoW version without all the flashy gimmicks and stuff...

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]liquid0h[/nom]While I'm sure the sound quality is right on cue as you said Devin, I can't agree with the looks. That one LED WoW symbol on the side looks like something out of Disney: The Lion King. Maybe if they came out with a non WoW version without all the flashy gimmicks and stuff...[/citation]

http://www.jinx.com/Content/Product/789p_99c_1b.jpg

Creative didn't make the symbol, it is from World of Warcraft.

-Devin

G

When will people learn. Gaming headsets are pure CRAP. I have tested several from plantronics to Razer. All garbage. If you care about gaming, you will know ATH-AD700 and Beyerdynamic DT880 are some of, if not the BEST headphones for gaming. Simple mods can make them into a headset too. Much better soundstage, clarity and have pinpoint accuracy.

lightningjack

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
I could really use a wireless gaming headset. But as much as I love WoW, I'm also an adult who doesn't want hieroglyphics or massive lights on my headset (or any gear for that matter). Will this WoW headset appeal to 12 year olds? Absolutely. They'll go nuts for it. But Creative has definitely made design decisions that seemingly alienate the vast majoirty of mature gamers gamers who actually have the type of disposable income to spend on this headset.

This is a classic case of a company simply trying so hard to be relevant only to end up completely missing the mark. And it's really too bad because this headset seems reasonably full-featured otherwise. I will wait for Razer or Logitech to release a similarly spec'ed headset with a more sophisticated design.

Devin, I know the Logitech wireless headset uses 2.4GHz tech (and I believe the Plantronics one does too). So this tech is definitely not new, albeit neither are "gaming" headsets. I've actually been using the Logitech wireless headset for over a year and I absolutely love it.

rbarone69

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
You know... It would be really nice for a headset to have 2 audio channels (2 sound card driver interfaces). This way Vent/TS could be directed to one, and the game to the other... For gamers this would solve many problems of "I want to hear my game when nobody is talking".

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]lightningjack[/nom]I could really use a wireless gaming headset. But as much as I love WoW, I'm also an adult who doesn't want hieroglyphics or massive lights on my headset (or any gear for that matter). Will this WoW headset appeal to 12 year olds? Absolutely. They'll go nuts for it. But Creative has definitely made design decisions that seemingly alienate the vast majoirty of mature gamers gamers who actually have the type of disposable income to spend on this headset.This is a classic case of a company simply trying so hard to be relevant only to end up completely missing the mark. And it's really too bad because this headset seems reasonably full-featured otherwise. I will wait for Razer or Logitech to release a similarly spec'ed headset with a more sophisticated design.Devin, I know the Logitech wireless headset uses 2.4GHz tech (and I believe the Plantronics one does too). So this tech is definitely not new, albeit neither are "gaming" headsets. I've actually been using the Logitech wireless headset for over a year and I absolutely love it.[/citation]

2.4 GHz is new to the gaming segment, for sure. Also, and perhaps I should have specified this in the article...you can turn the LED lighting off if you so desire.

-Devin

Teruo

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
There are 2.4 GHz Digital Wireless Headphone
I have been using Creative HS1200 Gaming Headset for almost 2 years and basically, this new one have the exact same specs as HS1200. But even though im using the HS1200 i still want a MMO-Themed headset =D

kooltime

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
$160.00 ?? geez in todays bad economy, over charging for new toys, with less sales is why everything is in the tank now adays.

probly charge ya 100 bucks extra for that pedal thing and 50 bucks for the extra avatar LED styles each bah rip off for the pricing, when we all know it cvan be made to work just as it is now for less then $40.00 R&D

Only thing left really free anymore is
"free dirt" adds on craigslist - you pick it up - lol

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
2.4Ghz is a BAD thing.
the trouble with 2.4ghz is that it is already massively overused. I already have 2.4ghz headphones and when they're on, both my wifi connection and my mediacenter remote stop working. I also often get sound dropouts in my headphones, apparently when my microwave is on and when my neighbor is using his wifi.

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]niz[/nom]2.4Ghz is a BAD thing.the trouble with 2.4ghz is that it is already massively overused. I already have 2.4ghz headphones and when they're on, both my wifi connection and my mediacenter remote stop working. I also often get sound dropouts in my headphones, apparently when my microwave is on and when my neighbor is using his wifi.[/citation]

Honestly I think it varies form product to product. I have a lot of the same products that you just listed (or something similar), and I didn't have any drop issues with audio.

G

It looks promising. I wasn't thinking of getting a wireless headset but it's nice to know one is out there with good sound. My wife would probably punish me if I got them though... so I'll have have to stick to my $20 plantronics headset. It's the best headset I've used by far, I've gone through 3 of them though due to children breaking them :-\

seth89

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Man the WoW computer accessories are hot. they also have a keyboard and a mouse.
i think it would be sweet if they had a video card too with that same style of armor.

(this is coming from a person who hates wow)

sweet review

G

I've been using the Logitech Clearchat wireless headphones for some time now and have been very pleased with them. They are 2.4ghz as well and use a similar USB receiver. They sound great and they are worth the extra cost of the non-wireless version. Also of note is they are a lot less expensive this WOW themed Creative headset. I'm a big gamer (World of Warcraft included) but at my age..the theming on these would be a bit much.

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]seth89[/nom]Man the WoW computer accessories are hot. they also have a keyboard and a mouse.i think it would be sweet if they had a video card too with that same style of armor.(this is coming from a person who hates wow)sweet review[/citation]

Thanks, Seth!

For the record, I am not a fan of WoW, either. I am a huge PC gamer, but the FPS and RTS genres are where I spend most of my time. LED lighting aside, this is a great headset for any sort of PC gaming.

liquid0h

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
[citation][nom]dconnors[/nom]http://www.jinx.com/Content/Product/789p_99c_1b.jpgCreative didn't make the symbol, it is from World of Warcraft.-Devin[/citation]
Ah, I see now.

While you may be right that Creative didn't create the symbol...they did however agree to put it on their product, you know?

Btw good review.

Status
Not open for further replies.