Critical Security Flaw Found in Internet Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
In related news, Microsoft just issued a press release stating they will not fix this flaw and instead advise Windows users to upgrade to Windows 8 as soon as possible, since they do not plan to release IE10 for Windows 7.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]In related news, Microsoft just issued a press release stating they will not fix this flaw and instead advise Windows users to upgrade to Windows 8 as soon as possible, since they do not plan to release IE10 for Windows 7.[/citation]
LOL

AidanJC

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
[citation][nom]idroid[/nom]Thank god no one uses IE[/citation]
Hey! That's not fair!

I used it once or twice to download another browser, thank you very much!

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
No thanks, IE is so last decade. Anyone with at least three working brain cells uses Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and Safari. IE is terrible and my worst memories of it were under Win 9x :x

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]AidanJC[/nom]Hey! That's not fair! I used it once or twice to download another browser, thank you very much![/citation]

Hah so true. Still, Imo Internet Explorer 9 performs better than Firefox... *checks version* *flabbergasted* 15!!! :O Though I only use IE9 for Netflix since it is my homepage lol. I've been wanting to change to Chrome for some time now but I'm too lazy to check if it has all my awesome add-ons from Mozilla.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Critical security issues are in every browser. At least Microsoft and Google are proactively fixing them.[/citation]

Something that struck me as I read the article: This flaw affects three generations of Internet Explorer. It goes all the way back to IE7.

That tells me one of two things; the flaw itself is minuscule in scope and as a result was extremely hard to find OR Microsoft failed to fix it because they suck.

I tend to find the former more likely.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]Haven't used IE for a long, long time.[/citation]

IE9's alright. Several of its new, more invasive security features predictably cause problems but in most cases are not insurmountable (often fixable by simply disabling tracking protection, a two click operation).

I hover between it and Chrome. I'd probably delete Firefox entirely if Chrome had an extension for downloading media from websites like youtube. Honestly I effectively never use Firefox.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
What a surprise. This is why you use Firefox, Opera, or Comodo Dragon (and NOT Chrome, until they allow the disabling of auto-updates)

IE is a security flaw by default because it's too integrated into the OS. Whether it's IE6, IE9, or IE10, don't use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.