Crytek Calls Used Games Block ''Absolutely Awesome''

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_bonkers

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Oh...Crytek you make me sad. So very Sad.

Before you worry about "used game blocking so you can prevent piracy" why not make a game that isn't completely broken on day 1. Or where the servers are all borked up day 1, or where there is absolutely 0 Anti-cheat until months later. Or where you refused to fix the fundamentally broken issues for over a year after launch? What about Promised DX11 support instead of deciding to add it in later? You could've just delayed the game until DX11 was ready. I know 100% I would be fine with that.

Crytek is only all giddy about this in the first place because they feel all sad about people who apparently pirated Crysis 1(Which there is absolutely no objective way to tell who downloaded it who didn't own it and etc). Yeah what about the millions of people who bought it legally? Those of us who paid for it and put up with the buggy and unoptimized mess that crysis was?

Yeah Crytek, we good.

I'm sure Crysis 3 will be Origin only too with a crappy web browser based way to join multiplayer matches. Just so you know, i'll be buying a retail copy and then pirating a cracked copy to play SP because EA decided it didn't want to share any DLC profits with Valve for using Steam(and for fear of EA invading my privacy). I'm not even going to bother with Multiplayer if you don't respect your users and fans enough to not break a game with unnecessary balance changes instead of fixing what's fundamentally wrong with it in multiplayer.

idono

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Instead of whining about pirates and second hand sales they could take a look at them self. The only damn reason people pirate is because they are sic and tiered of being given buggy and un finished crap games.

G

One could argue that barring used game sales could actually fuel pirating. At present, a game has to be very, very good for me to justify spending 80$ on it. Honestly cracked copies are how I try before I buy - if it's good, I'll pick up a legit copy. If not, it get the TRIM axe. The best weapon a developer has is the consumer community. Gamers associate with gamers, we talk about the games we have played/want to play. If my buddy picks up a copy of a game, and he brings it over to my place to try out, and it's good.. chances are I'll pick up a copy so I can play with him. I agree with what someone else said up there, the 1 pirate = 1 sale idea is just stupid. If I can't get it for free, I probably just won't get it at all..

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished
this will only increase piracy for all the people who can't always afford to buy the latest and greatest new release for $100 (some ps3 games going for over $110 here in australia). So the next new console gets released, i spend $600-700 on that, buy 2 games (another $200) a second controller (another $80) and so far i have hit $880-980. Now a couple months later I am sick of those games i am forced to basicaly throw them away and spend a couple more hundred $$ on more games. If they are going to do this BS then they better reduce the cost of new release games by at least half.

sarezar

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
no second-hand games = more pirated copies

PS. I regret pre-ordering Crysis 2. I thought it would be as good as the first one but I couldn't be more wrong. I'll definitely wait for a price drop before ordering Crysis 3. Quality > than everything, my dear Crytek...

blackbke

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Crytek (and many others) need to look at the free-to-play Tribes: Ascend really. I downloaded Tribes, played it for free for a few days, really liked it and decided to pay for it to unlock the other classes and better weapons. This is how it should be done instead of standing in a dead-end corner while endlessly whining and pointing fingers as if we are all criminals. Keeping the market should be about allowing (like free-to-play), not about prohibiting because that just does not work.

blackbke

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
One additional note on free-to-play. It should be really free-to-play. Not some limit-this-limit-that bullshit that actually forces you to pay for it. Tribes: Ascend really does this right: build the game around skill, not gear; allow free players to get the better gear, but make it a more time consuming process than paying customers. People on a low budget will take the time and effort to gear up for free, more wealthy people won't bother and just pay. Tribes, Tribes did it right :)

three0duster

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
What's with all the whining? Valve has been doing this with PC games since Steam was released. Not saying it does not suck, but if it happens it happens, nothing anyone can do about it. The only thing the companies would see is their game sales. Just don't buy anymore games and they might get the picture.

G

The prices are totally NOT insane if you just wait a few months. If you pre-order of course, you're going to pay full price. And if you're the kind of person in the market for used games, well then this timing fits perfectly.

The used game market really does kind of suck for developers. It's like if you paid for a movie ticket, watched a movie, then sold your ticket to someone else. Your viewship was paid for, and the money made it to the movie companies, but the second person's viewship was definitely NOT. I'm all for choice, but I honestly think the used game market hurts developers. It might as well be piracy.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Your suggestions just penalise the poor, Crytek.

I have a number of games building on my want list, incl. Sniper Elite V2 and FarCry 3, but none will be bought for months after their launch date. Not because I'm poor. In fact, I'm really rather wealthy.

See, I always buy games at least six months after launch. This means they are (a) less buggy and (b) much cheaper in 99% of cases.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
I'll be blunt: If these console manufacturers try to go to this? PIRACY IS THE LIFE FOR ME!

Bottom lining it here. I have been a faithful customer since it was my parents buying the games for me back when the NES first came out. I've rented, borrowed, etc. games and I have ALSO, added up over the years, spent a grand total of probably 10K on these things at LEAST!

They have just killed the market for 99% of people if they try this.... well, faggotry is the only thing to call it.

ewood

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
[citation][nom]badvok66[/nom]I think the comments here show we need better education on software licensing. Can you believe some people think they actually own a copy of the game! It's a bit like people buying a CD and thinking they own the music - how dumb is that?FYI, when you 'buy' a game or any other software you aren't actually buying anything, you are simply paying a license fee for a right to use the software.So far as I'm aware the legality of the resale of game software licenses has never been tested in court but I do know that there are court cases in progress testing the legality of the resale of general software licenses.In my opinion, if someone grants you a license to use their software (for a fee or not) you do not have an right to pass that license onto someone else without the owner's express permission.[/citation]

cool story bro... tell it again

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]blackbke[/nom]Crytek (and many others) need to look at the free-to-play Tribes: Ascend really. I downloaded Tribes, played it for free for a few days, really liked it and decided to pay for it to unlock the other classes and better weapons. This is how it should be done instead of standing in a dead-end corner while endlessly whining and pointing fingers as if we are all criminals. Keeping the market should be about allowing (like free-to-play), not about prohibiting because that just does not work.[/citation]

Sorry to doublepost, but that system only works for online multiplayer games. It doesn't work for single-player games in the slightest or games that are SP/MP.

Now, I would be more willing to spend my buckies on games instead of pirating them and THEN buying them if I liked them if they had demos that showed the TRUE experience in the games. A lot of times however the demos are.... well, polished to the point where they have turned a piece of coal into a diamond while ignoring the actual game itself.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
"It's weird that [second-hand] is still allowed because it doesn't work like that in any other software industries, so it would be great if they could somehow fix that issue as well."

What a douche bag. It works exactly the same way with nearly all software. If I buy Photoshop for $600 and then decide a year or two later I don't want it, I can still sell it. I can't think of any software that I couldn't resell if I wanted to except for maybe an OEM copy of Windows or something. What "software industries" is he referring to exactly?

PrimalGecko

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
especially in the current App Age pioneered by Apple.

#corrections

Stardock Central (later changed to Impulse, now owned by GameStop) was a digital distribution service that was released in 2001. iTunes Store didn't come out until 2003. I'm not sure how Apple pioneered the App Age when they just copied someone else's idea as they always do. Apple just made it popular with digital music (they are marketing geniuses if nothing else). I'm not sure if there was a digital content distribution service older than Stardock, but Apple was not the pioneer of the so-called App Age and it's not my job to do yours (but I do get tired of reading bad information).

Please do some better fact checking, Kevin. Your articles almost always come off as a shoot-from-the-hip style and have a lot of misinformation (also can seem very biased).

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
[citation][nom]badvok66[/nom]FYI, when you 'buy' a game or any other software you aren't actually buying anything, you are simply paying a license fee for a right to use the software.[/citation]

Okay fine. Then when I sell a game, I'm not actually selling anything, I'm simply selling the license fee for a right to use the software.

What's the difference? Nobody thinks they own the legal rights to the game when they buy it, sheesh!

snqwerty

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
Lets block second hand car market too, and hardware, and used clothes...
This is getting ridicules but we leave in ridicules times so Crytek might get their wish...

Geowil

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
Umm, Piracy is a PC issue. What does the consol market have to fear from piracy except for cross platformers? Also the industry's hate at used games is from their greed. They cannot just be happy with the 1.8B they made on sales (60x3m from the article), they want more then they are owed. The only thing they will achieve by axing used games is to shed their financially struggling customers. IMO used games lead to more new game sales through word of mouth if they are good, just like YoutTube walkthroughs and even some piracy (I admit I have pirated games but I usually go out and buy them later).

CryTek and the industry are creating an issue where there is not one so they can justify inflating their sales; capitalism unrestrained falls into greed because everyone who does not have a conscious wants more then they should be afforded, it is a Human problem and one we will have to overcome if we expect to live as a species past the 5000 year mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.