Crytek Calls Used Games Block ''Absolutely Awesome''

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasjm52

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
You dont want pirated games?

Then dont charge me $65 dollars to get a digital download version of the game! Does this upset anyone else? ( I mean i'm a huge BF Fan and Had to get BF3 so i know its my fault but come on)

greenmachineiijh

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2005
It is SICK to me how greedy the world is. Publishers are becoming no better than the RIAA and MPAA. As a matter of fact, WORSE!! You can at least take your favorite movie or music to a buddies house to watch together. Or sell them to a Pawn shop if you want. If this goes through, you can not do that and think of all the useless software that could potentially be locked to these consoles. What if the console fails? Recovery? there are so many things BAD about this.

Everyone is also missing a VERY important factual point. Their game sales will go DOWN, not up as they expect. The developers are expecting sales to go UP by forcing people to buy games since they can not be traded and little johnny can no longer wait until Game Stop has it for cheap.
The contrary will occur... Because buying a game will now be a complete permanent and irreversible investment. Gamers will now be much more selective and wary of their purchases and will be less likely to buy a game they are unsure of. This will also alienate the smaller publishers because you might not be sure of buying an unknown XYZ game where as you can generally KNOW that the next big franchise game will be awesome and everyone scrambles to get it. So in the end, this will all dictate your buying behavior.
There will also be price fixing since you can not get a used version any more. There will be no incentive to lower prices after a game has been on the shelf for a few months. Again, little Johnny will HAVE to buy the game at whatever the publisher has it marked as.

Nice, guys... REAL NICE...

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I really think that the US gov't needs to pass a law outlawing the license of digital media and software. When you pay for it you should OWN the copy, not just license it. This would solve so many problems and allow people to sell their media / software if they desire. Other than pissing some companies off, I can't see any downside to this model.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
They hurt the entire ecosystem with such a move. Rentals, re-sale, borrowing, etc. They will likely sell fewer new units in total and players will suffer from having fewer games they can play.

This is simply not a smart move for the consoles and would cause me to avoid them the same as I avoid iPod/iPad for having no way to add apps besides the iTunes store. I will avoid entirely closed ecosystems as they are not consumer friendly.

G

I don't know about anyone else, but the reason I buy used is because

1.) Overpriced game for what it is
2.) I don't really have an big interest in the game and buy it used because it's less of a loss if I end up hating it (can return used, can't return new).

Making it so I can't play a used copy of a game isn't going to make me buy a full priced and new copy. I'm just going to say "Fuck you," and spend my money elsewhere, thus preventing me from ever playing the game and ever developing an interest in it for future installments that I may be willing to pay full price for.

awood28211

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
What other market in the US has an exclusion by the manufacturer on USED versions of the product?

Here's an idea. If you're going to charge me 60 bucks for a game don't make it so that I can single player to the end in 6 hours... stop touting online play as the best feature and if you have zero-day DLC, it should be on the DISK!

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
[citation][nom]Geowil[/nom]Umm, Piracy is a PC issue. What does the consol market have to fear from piracy except for cross platformers? Also the industry's hate at used games is from their greed. They cannot just be happy with the 1.8B they made on sales (60x3m from the article), they want more then they are owed. The only thing they will achieve by axing used games is to shed their financially struggling customers. IMO used games lead to more new game sales through word of mouth if they are good, just like YoutTube walkthroughs and even some piracy (I admit I have pirated games but I usually go out and buy them later).CryTek and the industry are creating an issue where there is not one so they can justify inflating their sales; capitalism unrestrained falls into greed because everyone who does not have a conscious wants more then they should be afforded, it is a Human problem and one we will have to overcome if we expect to live as a species past the 5000 year mark.[/citation]

Console games are pirated loooong before most pc titles, quick example fallout 3 was pre'd about a month before launch. Console piracy is rampant.

G

Well there you go!

Crytek, falling from grace, wings on fire....

I only own a Wii console, and enjoy it greatly, especially Spyro with my kids..

And my PC, I love gaming on my PC, I do not buy used games for my PC!

I look at the game I want, look at the reviews and gameplay ( Youtube rocks) and then decide how much I am prepared to pay for it! Some game i will buy new outright after release if it looks and reviews as good as I would expect, others i wait till the prices have come down to thier real value.

Sometimes I have even waited as long as two years to buy a game, such as Total war Empire and Civ 5, waited till I got both of those new for £5.

But take Guild Wars 2, I will be paying for 2 Full Priced Special Edition Copies as soon as I can get the Physical Disc Edition.

On Crytek, I bought and enjoyed Crysis, took a look at Crysis 2 and decided it is worth a tenner, so when I find it for that new on the shelf, i will buy it, as for Crysis 3, we will see...

Bovski

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2008
I don't understand PC gamers moaning that Crytek release games to early with bugs in them M$ are still releasing patches for XP.

Crytek can make a charge for the resale in Europe (Droit de suite).

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]I really think that the US gov't needs to pass a law outlawing the license of digital media and software. When you pay for it you should OWN the copy, not just license it. This would solve so many problems and allow people to sell their media / software if they desire. Other than pissing some companies off, I can't see any downside to this model.[/citation]

While I'm completely against blocking used sales of games it's my understanding that if you "owned" the game and not just a license to use it you would then be able to make copies of it and sell them to your friends, or use parts of the game for your own. I assume that's why the license is there.

Although people who support the idea to block used sales of games are lucky not everyone thinks like they do or we'd have limited installs, terrible DRM and day one DLC cut straight from the games as these people seem like they want to be abused by the publishers financially.

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
My comment will probably never be seen since it's now up to 3 pages - but here goes.
What they need to do is (like everyone else says) lower initial price. That will cut back piracy slightly by drawing the crowd that is only doing it because it's too expensive.

Then, they need to embrace the used market and create a way to work with it - put activation codes on console games just like PC-games, then give the stores the ability to generate new keys (or access to a database to "reset" the original game key) so that it can be re-activated. Then the store is required to pay the developers a fee to re-key. The store gets money, the devs get money, and the customers get a reduced cost. Everyone wins. It doesn't sound that hard to me.

Ephebus

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
You can't imagine how glad I am that I've played both Crysis games in pirated versions and didn't give you one cent, Crytek, you greedy motherfuckers.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
The fact that I got the maximum number of thumbs down for my comment pretty much proves to me something I've suspected for a long time.

Stop comparing movies, tv shows, SINGLE player games, books (basically anything with a story) to other products. Those things are consumed very quickly in like hours or days and then almost never consumed again by that consumer while still being potentially consumable by many other people. This is not the case with many other products. I keep hearing, what seems like the majority of people, saying this is like used car sales being banned. This analogy is totally invalid.

Banning the sharing of games will make things fair for everyone. The only consumers who will be upset will be people who like to take advantage of the current system to get away with sharing games with huge numbers of people. The people who do not share games will be happier because they will end up having to pay many times less for games.

The expectation of a certain average amount of sharing of each copy of a game is reflected in its price. With this new rule the games will be less appealing to certain consumers which will mean less demand for those games and therefore their price will be lowered. Stores who buy and sell used games will lose out, consumers who share games with ridiculous amounts of people will lose out, but publishers and the consumers who do not share games will benefit from this policy. This is much more fair to everyone because this is what will make the money flow to and from everyone much more appropriate.

In my opinion, this has been a great demonstration of the phenomenon I like to call the failure of democracy. It shows us that democracy is not the ultimate system; we still have some way to go.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
i just saw a clearance offer from newegg offering crysis 2 for 9.99 in my email box today...along with a few other well known games that released in 2011.
Crytek said in March that Crysis 2 -- the most pirated game of 2011 according to reports -- racked in three million sales within the first four months of availability

G

As if these scum weren't making enough money already. Can anyone think of any commodity where you can't sell it when you have no further use for it?
Even if you compare it to the next closest media, dvd movies you can sell your copy or give it a friend if you can't bear to watch "big bang theory season 1 series" one more time.
It is an arrogant and self centred attitude and opens your eyes to the fact they are not in business for the consumer's benefit but only their own needs.
If people had more control over their urges and boycotted companies in favour of this they'd be whipped into submission. Tom's hardware and other pc sites should take the battle on for the consumer and withhold any news, reviews and publicity for them. That would put a dint in their sales and make their advertising budget a lot heftier.

tk1138

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
Im going to protest the local library since they make it really hard for book and magazine publishers to make money...how are magazine publishers going to make money when someone can go to the library for free and read their publication in its entirety in about 2 hours (takes me to read the HALF of time magazine that isnt bull shit )

i guess children who borrow their books from the library for education are also no better than pirates since they are in effect not buying books that they are reading, and learning from....

my college has a library as well...allowing people to BORROW books FOR FREE!!!! and no they dont compensate the publishers...

my college also sells USED BOOKS THE HORROR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dont they know that they are taking money out of the pockets of text book publishers who make new editions of books every 2 years (or less anyways)\

see what is happening you sheep!!! they are taking normal and harmless behavior and turning it criminal, or close to criminal....

see its ok for text book publishers to RIP OFF students....but its not ok for the student to borrow his friends game he is no longer playing...or its illegal for the 12 year old to get a ride to the video game store to sell his games he no longer plays to get one new game....so much for life lessons about taking care of your property, and the basics of the market....

tk1138

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
[citation][nom]IndignantSkeptic[/nom]The fact that I got the maximum number of thumbs down for my comment pretty much proves to me something I've suspected for a long time.Stop comparing movies, tv shows, SINGLE player games, books (basically anything with a story) to other products. Those things are consumed very quickly in like hours or days and then almost never consumed again by that consumer while still being potentially consumable by many other people. This is not the case with many other products. I keep hearing, what seems like the majority of people, saying this is like used car sales being banned. This analogy is totally invalid.Banning the sharing of games will make things fair for everyone. The only consumers who will be upset will be people who like to take advantage of the current system to get away with sharing games with huge numbers of people. The people who do not share games will be happier because they will end up having to pay many times less for games.The expectation of a certain average amount of sharing of each copy of a game is reflected in its price. With this new rule the games will be less appealing to certain consumers which will mean less demand for those games and therefore their price will be lowered. Stores who buy and sell used games will lose out, consumers who share games with ridiculous amounts of people will lose out, but publishers and the consumers who do not share games will benefit from this policy. This is much more fair to everyone because this is what will make the money flow to and from everyone much more appropriate.In my opinion, this has been a great demonstration of the phenomenon I like to call the failure of democracy. It shows us that democracy is not the ultimate system; we still have some way to go.[/citation]

clearly you are a moron....

your statment "The only consumers who will be upset will be people who like to take advantage of the current system to get away with sharing games with huge numbers of people." proves it

SHARING IS A GOOD THING!!!! PERIOD...

but i guess according to you sharing is something "people get away with"

seriously you wonder why you have negative feedback....its cuz you are a moron...

STEALING when you deprive someone of their property is bad....copying files on the internet is not STEALING....

someone STEALS my bike i will be mad IF someone copied my bike i wouldnt care, we would both have them....no ones has been deprived of their property...

same with pirates....a pirate is different from someone who STEALS a copy of the game from a store...a pirate is not depriving property from anyone....the person who steals is depriving the store of their merchandise....

seriously if you want to be a slave im sure their are many countries who would be glad to take you...

this is how they destroy property rights of the individual.....

you people do realize their is a concerted government effort to get rid of things like tag sales and second hand sales...this is just falls in to the bigger picture....but some many idiots here are ASLEEP, and are too stupid to see things for how they really are....

IDIOTS wake up!!!!1

tk1138

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
as a youth growing up i wasnt poor but i also wasnt rich either....while li was lucky enough to have a super nintendo and later a nintendo 64, i wasnt able to have a huge library of games at my disposal....some of my friends however had MANY games....the games that these individuals no longer played i would ask to borrow and maybe even give them a game i no longer play, kinda like a TRADE....

i guess i (and many others) were being degenerate and almost criminal....i guess the user IndignantSkeptic would say that me and my friends simply "got away" with our sharing...at the expense of the video game company...

indignantskeptic might be some industry insider who hates children hates video games and joined the profession as a misguided attempt to make alot of money, and not to entertain and make "art"

he must hate consumers and loves corporations, and govt, and thinks that a centralized corporate and govt control over things will be best for everyone....

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
There are a lot of things in this world which are criminalized which should not be and also a lot of things which are not criminalized which should be. A lot of policies in the world are wrong. A lot of what most people have been doing in the past has been wrong without people realizing it. I used to share games with friends like you did when I was young and naive, but now that I am older and wiser, I realize I was helping drive up the price of games and especially hurting the consumers who don't share games because they are essentially subsidizing people who do share games. The payment of things in this world is still very much unfair. The world needs an overhaul. Business models need to change drastically. Some people are paying many times more than they should and some people are paying many times less than they should. That means that essentially some consumers are giving money to certain other consumers for no good reason. It's not fair. I'm just saying this system will make things more fair. I'll give another example later if all of you still just cannot understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.