Crytek Calls Used Games Block ''Absolutely Awesome''

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dreadlokz

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Crytek and consoles can go to hell =D
You know what is Absolutely Awesome? To pre-order a game 1 year before its launch! HA HA

Linux steam PLX =D

Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
I'm sure this won't be a popular position but the argument against second-hand gaming is a lot stronger than the argument against piracy. People who buy games second-hand are at least demonstrating that they are willing to pay a certain amount of money for a game.

On the other hand, people who pirate are not offering any evidence that they're willing to pay for a game. Therefore, while it is fair to conclude that a second-hand sale is a lost sale for the developer, it is not fair to assume that someone who pirates the game would have been willing to pay if the game were not available for free.

gregor

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
[citation][nom]Geowil[/nom]... it is a Human problem and one we will have to overcome if we expect to live as a species past the 5000 year mark.[/citation]
Hmm, correct me if I'm wrong, but the human species has been around for a LOT longer than 5000 years.

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
They are absolutely not getting any of my business. I'm sorry, but if I buy something like a desk, I can resell it. It's too bad for the furniture companies that miss out on a sale, but this is the way it's been for many ages. Just buck up Crybabytech--it's part of the cost of doing business.

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
[citation][nom]Ephebus[/nom]You can't imagine how glad I am that I've played both Crysis games in pirated versions and didn't give you one cent, Crytek, you greedy motherfuckers.[/citation]

Trying to justify what you did is useless. Your just as bad as the company.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
certain games like battlefield 3, call of duty modern warfare 3 etc

i didnt bother buying at launch because im not paying 40-50 a game

i only bought mw3 because i spotted it on offer in a shop at £20 while the console versions were still double

and im still waiting for battlefield 3.

would but download version but i hat origin with a passion. not paying double retail for no disk

they sent me a £10 off voucher through email and im not going to use it because even with the discount it's more expensive than amazon and other sellers

if games were selling for 20-30 i would definatly buy them on launch (thats why ive pre-orderd assasins creed 3)

its ridiculous that games are getting shorter and more expensive, its like they don't want to make money

G

crytek is completely missing the point.

the used game industry thrives for only a few simple reasons. first, the pricing on new games is insane. $60 for a game i can beat in 10 hours is just crazy. adding achievements is not adding content! second, the used game market allows people to return games which quite frankly....suck. if developers churned out better products consumers could feel more confident about buying new. third, quite a few new games offer almost zero replay value. i might as well trade in a game i will never play again for something that i will.

personally i would be delighted to buy all new retail copies if i could trust that they were good games (give us demos!), had replay factor and had a lower price point.

Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
What about charging $60 for the first month, $55 the second, and so on to the twelfth month, when the price would bottom out at $5. Then, after a few years, let people play it for free. People could wait until the price was right for them. Don't wanna pay retail? Wait half a year, or a year, or three years.

simplec1

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
[citation][nom]HEXiT[/nom]this has nothing to do with crytech being money grabbers. its the fact the retailers dont pony up for selling games that they dont have any ownership for but take all the profit from... if you want to be angry at some 1 be angry at the second hand retailers that put the games companies in this position. if they pony up 5-10% of the resale then the games companies will go away or at least stop pushing. but game and the likes wont do that, they would rather clock up 80million in dept and lay off all there staff as long as the guy at the top gets his retirement package...nah if your gonna be angry at some 1 then make sure its the rite 1[/citation]

Dude what crack are you smoking? have you ever sold anything used, car, home, electronics? I tell you what then, the car you just sold your brother give Ford their 5%-10% back for the resale, that house you just sold give the bank who financed you 5%-10% back. Better yet everything you've ever sold give the OEM back %5-10% back. And see how you feel about it. After all you don't have ownership of it.Right? THE BOTTOM LINE IS IF I BOUGHT IT I OWN IT AND ITS MY RIGHT TO DO WHATEVER I WANT TO WITH IT the manufacturer already made their off of me. These companies need to stop making half-assed products and then demanding more money after its left their shelves.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
I'm disgusted by how dumb most people on this forum are. This is why democracy fails. We need something better. No more 1 person 1 vote. People should have vote power proportional to their intelligence.

You do not own the game. You own a license to play it! that's it! the terms of use are different to normal property ownership. You don't get to resell it. There are always rules for what you can do with certain things. Read them or just simply use your logic and realize that many games have no replay value and are short so therefore they quickly become pretty useless to you but not to other people who haven't finished them yet. That's why the property rules, that you are familiar with, cannot apply to many single player games, or movies, or tv series, or books because once you know the story then there is almost no point in going through it again unless your memory is crap, which is rare. Stop trying to argue with me. You keep repeating what has already been said and you are not convincing me that you are correct.

I am the one who is correct and I have the most down-thumbs. This proves that democracy is a failure. This proves that a republican (or if we want to be more specific: a religiot) can be president of the USA again and then the whole world is fucked again for a long time.

Games are so expensive because lots of people accept to pay such high prices because they think they can resell the game or share it with their friends, so that the cost to themselves will effectively be much less. If 10 of you each buy a different game and then agree to share all those games with each other then basically it's like you've all gotten 10 games for the price of 1 or, to put it another way, paid one tenth of the price for games. It screws-over people who do not share games because it does drive up the price of games!

It's like with renting movies. You pay a fixed amount regardless of how many of you gather around the TV to watch it. There currently is no reliable technology to detect how many people are watching a movie at home so the companies just assume it's some average number and charge according to that and people accept it because if they have lots of people watching each time and each take turns paying for a movie then they are effectively getting a good bargain while the people who watch alone are getting screwed. It's not fair. The charge should be proportional to the number of people watching otherwise some people are effectively being seriously undercharged while others are seriously overcharged. Basically people who are lonely have to effectively give money to people who have parties all the time. The reason the system is that way is because we cannot currently do better, but now we may have a system to make things more fair for game players and you are all complaining that the companies are being greedy when this possibly won't even change their revenue at all. It just changes how much each consumer effectively pays to be more equal! Possibly the reason companies didn't complain before was because the average number of people sharing each game copy was pretty stable and pretty low, but then when retail stores started with their used game business, it made sharing much easier so that the average number of people sharing each copy of a game suddenly changed and went ridiculously high, causing companies to face the prospect of having to charge many hundreds of dollars per copy of a game. Now with this new policy of no game sharing, not only will we avoid games priced in the many hundreds of dollars with ridiculous loads of people sharing each copy, but we will go further than returning to the old average number of people sharing each copy and the old prices and we will end up with a number of people sharing each copy of a game equal to 1, and the prices of the games will be much cheaper than before! Now sit down and shut the hell up! Thank you for listening.

tk1138

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
IndignantSkeptic

its clear you love being a slave to corporations....get the hell out of the usa if you love fascism so much you are just a piece of trash...if you think that by as a kid trading games or allowing friends to borrow games made the prices go up you are a moron....

sharing is NEVER a bad thing....as long as its voluntary (IE not the tax code where they put a gun to your head in order to "share the wealth

but i guess an idiot like you wants to LIMIT the rights of consumers...i guess an idiot like you wants to protect the corporations (remember corporations dont have rights human beings have rights endowed by their creator...) corporations are simply artificial entities that humans allow to exist and have certain rights....

you are no different than the idiots in govt who are doing their best to protect corporations at the expense of the people....

IndignantSkeptic you are a piece of crap get the hell out of america you will ruin it for all the people who love freedom and liberty....

its funny the game companies think i own a licence to their product....hmmm wonder what kind of authority or how relevant this "contract" is when in fact i can copy the game and i can sell copies if i choose to (along with key generators and cracks and no cd fixes)

so yea lets see how far these contracts or licenses go(remember if you need a license for some thing, its illegal....a license is a letter of mark or govt authorization to do something that would otherwise be illegal) , the users will just find ways around them, making their little investments in their BS technology worthless and a waste...but if they want to pursue such policies lets see them try they will only get shot down and cracked in a matter of days/weeks...

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]Dark Comet[/nom]While I'm completely against blocking used sales of games it's my understanding that if you "owned" the game and not just a license to use it you would then be able to make copies of it and sell them to your friends...[/citation]

I don't think that's how it works.
Owning something you bought outright does not give you the right to make copies of it for resale. Otherwise I could make copies of my Rolex and sell them on 42nd street.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
tk1138, you're just trolling aren't you because nobody can actually be this stupid. This site needs to stop trolls having thumb buttons. Go on I want to hear your explanation of why corporations are bad because I want to laugh.

ruszip1

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
But after the first time you play a game, it becomes a "used" game. it's not like they will be able to stop you from playing your own games, right? i got tons of games for the old ps1, some for a ps2 and a bunch for the ps3 that me and my kids play. are they going to make me but now copies of the ps3 games if whatever sony replaces the ps3 with? if thats the plan, i guess i'm done with consoles. ill just find a way to play those games on a computer.

kay1

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
These GREEDY wise and beautiful woman'S want far too much money for game's that are so buggy that it's a complete pain in the arse. So at least release a game that warrant's it's price also if the second hand game's market is killed off then there will be more PIRACY. I do NOT PIRATE game's at the momment but if GREADY BASTARD'S LIKE EA and OTHER'S do end up killing the used game's market then i WILL PIRATE 100 %. Are they blind not to see that this will lead to more PIRACY. Also if there are people out there thinking oh this is a good idea because game's will get much cheaper then all i have to say is GIVE YOURSELF A BIG SLAP to wake up in dreamland because THESE GREEDY BASTARD'S will never reduce the price that will apeal to everyone so therefore the person who canot afford the game because of the wrip off price's will PIRATE and hooray for that. I will never buy from EA OR ANY OTHER GREADY BATSRD'S who support this idea. WHAT A BUNCH OF GRAEDY TOSSER'S GO AND FUCK EACH OTHER UP THE ARSE YOU VERY, VERY GREADY BASTARD'S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS