Crytek Calls Used Games Block ''Absolutely Awesome''

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I like how Crytek equates every pirated copy of the game to a lost sale. I pirated the game, know why? Because I never had any intention of buying it anyway. I just wanted to see how it ran on my PC. I uninstalled/deleted it after a couple of days because the game was utterly boring. If piracy somehow didnt exist, I would have never purchased it for the aforementioned test, so Crytek never lost a sale. 3 million pirated copies of their game = 3 million customers who thought your game sucked too much to be worth paying for.

I also love how they think it would be "awesome" to prevent used game sales. You know what else would be awesome? If every copy included a license agreeing to let Cervat Yerli come to your house and fuck your sister.

And fuck this "license to use" argument. Thats like saying when I buy a Ford Mustang I'm just buying a license to drive it, not actually own or modify it. Bullshit. When I buy a game I'm not buying a license, I am buying physical media with a string of 1's and 0's on it, free for me to do with as I please.

G

I feel that the traditional methods of game development as far as funding by production houses is going by the wayside, and the sooner this idea steamrolls the entire industry the better. I was a contributor in the Wasteland 2 kickstarter campaign, and continue to contribute to ideas, per the developers request to hear from financial backers and fans alike. Guess what? We funded the development ourselves! NO selling out, no DRM, no B.S. from a production house trying to make design changes to fit into the demographic they want to sell to based on their marketing guru's supposed "insight". The devs for Wasteland 2 are now paid in full for the next 18 months or so. Now, wouldn't great sales be awesome beyond the folks that initially funded the project? Obviously yes, but even if the devs only had another funded project waiting, they don't need to make sales quota, because they already did, before the game was even complete. Like a giant pre-order. So, I rest my case. If we all vote with our wallets, the industry will see that perhaps the current model just doesn't work. It never really did work, it just took a while before someone discovered a better way.

mr_unconcerned

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
This is about piracy and not pre-owned game sales. Pre-owned game sales tend to come late enough after a release date where I can't imagine the impact is anywhere near substantial.

The new and pre-owned car business work side by side, and under the same roof. Why not close libraries? I can go read a book there for free. Or ban used console sales too.

This is really about the 10% screwing it for the 90% of us. You can stop this by kicking the crap out of anyone you know who is a POS thief.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
This is pretty bad.

The comparison with the used car market makes sense. You bought the game. You should be able to sell it.

It seems like game publishers are trying to sell games more as a service rather than as an item their customers buy and own. Rather than charge you monthly, you pay a lump sum up front.

Why don't they just clearly state that? Don't trick consumers into thinking they own something when they can't do with it what they please.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]badvok66[/nom]I think the comments here show we need better education on software licensing. Can you believe some people think they actually own a copy of the game! It's a bit like people buying a CD and thinking they own the music - how dumb is that?FYI, when you 'buy' a game or any other software you aren't actually buying anything, you are simply paying a license fee for a right to use the software.So far as I'm aware the legality of the resale of game software licenses has never been tested in court but I do know that there are court cases in progress testing the legality of the resale of general software licenses.In my opinion, if someone grants you a license to use their software (for a fee or not) you do not have an right to pass that license onto someone else without the owner's express permission.[/citation]
So a book is a form of print media. If I loan that to a friend, should they have to pay a publisher? If I buy a used book from the university book store, why don't I pay full price?

sp0nger

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
IF this tech comes out people will still find a way to pirate, and i for one will definitively jump on board if they try to tell me what i can and cant do with MY product

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
I have a friend who owns several used video game stores, and this is a real threat to his business. This truly will kill a lot of jobs. Think about how many Gamestops are out there? And there's lots of little guys too, probably in every major city who run these used game shops.

Also, this will effect places that rent games too.These idiots are playing with fire all because they want more money where it is not deserved.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
First they blame Piracy for making a shitty game and having piss poor sales. Now they blame Used Games. What's next? Blame the consumer for wanting a physical copy instead of being forced to download it in the "Cloud" in the near future?

If games are costing too much to produce, just like Hollywood should, CUT BACK! Nobody asked Hollywood to go from making $20-30 million dollar movies not but 10 YEARS AGO, to now starting at $50-75 and working their way up. Gaming Industry has got a little big in the past decade and each studio is spending like they're Hollywood. Some of the best games never cost anywhere near $50 million to make.

hfitch

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
I used to buy just new copies. Then something happened to the way games were priced and made. When they were 30 to 40 dollars I could see buying new for a complete game. Now games arent complete. They take on dlcs just for basic crap. Wont more costumes that 1.99 per costume. Want more than 4 maps that 1.99 for each map. Want a slightly better gun that another 1.99. Tell you what charge me 59.99 for a new game tell me all the future dlc and any dlc at all is free for me. I might consider buying new. As far as pirated goes. I only pirate games that i wouldn't waist my hard earn money for. 80% of the games out there are garbage not worth 29 dollars let alone 59 that you guys want. Mass Effect, Bioshock, Crysis 2, Final Fantasy, any Valve game I would always buy vs pirating. Yet Railroad Tycoon, Sims, Painkiller and many more shooters aint getting my money sorry. I usually play them for a hour and put them down. You know what takes money way from developers making us have to be online to play the fing game. Treat your customers with respect and then they would go head over heals to make sure to buy your product. Valve realized that hey we charge you for weapons in Teamfortres 2 so lets make the game free and it works. You want to charge for content after you release a game it better be a lot cheaper for the game. This is why I have boycotted pretty much everything on Xbox lately I will not buy a game that then release DLC and want to charge you 5 dollars for just a small feature that should of already been in the game. F U

jadedmonkey28

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Frankly Crytek just looks like a greedy bastard who is mad that any one besides them might make money off the game. In their world they make money, no one else is allowed to and they could really care less once you buy it. Sure after you play it and finish the game it becomes a coaster for you and that’s how they want it. Of course this is how it is for pc games, although you can uninstall and re install in most cases. Sure you can let a friend borrow it, it's just a lot more difficult to do and your friend gets the game for free as he will use no cd fix. In the end i see this as a dumb move by the console makes. The pc market has a piracy issue because it's easy to do and there is no market for 2nd hand games that are cheaper when a game comes out. Sure all PC titles are cheaper and most hit a bargain bin at some point most casual pc games will just pay for the game rather than pirate it. The console market has a small piracy issue right now, but used game sales are strong because most people do not steal the games they buy them. If you take away used games then piracy will be the only option and it will increase dramatically for the consoles. If they think the DRM will be able to stop people from making a copy then they are foolish and living in the past, look at the PC market that has been around for years. DRM does not solve the issue at all and piracy is a issue that will only grow in size if you leave people no option.

zanthrex

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
If used games and piracy were wiped off of the planet, people would flock toward open source and free to play games. These software firms think just because people play their games for free it MUST mean they will fork over 60-80 bucks a game. Not sure where that logic is.

Do what the more intelligent developers figured out a long long time ago. Offer in-game purchases and low cost pay 2 play multiplayer. It's time developers stop believing their titles are the end all be all of gaming. WE WILL JUST FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO DO.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Crytek still doesn't get it. The first Crysis game did great. That game was a huge success and set the bar for years. That used to be the must-have title. When Crytek failed to follow in Epic Game's footsteps by successfully mass licensing the Cry Engine and sold their soul to EA that's when people turned against them. They dumbed down Crysis 2. They've dumbed down Crysis 3. The piracy and used game activity surrounding Crysis 2 should have sent Crytek a message. Instead it's caused them to curl up in a corner and whine to the media.

Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony, listen up. I'm not buying your consoles if you prevent used game sales. I'm not paying $60 for sloppy games anymore. I'll pay $60 for a solid Halo or Mario or Starcraft game, but there's no way I'm doing it for something like Battlefield 3 with it's legendary "weapon bug of the patch", multi-gigabyte updates, and uninstall-then-reinstall DLC procedures. I can afford it, but I am no longer tolerating it.

I'm so tired of companies like Crytek whining about used games and piracy that I'm making my own games now. Guess what! I'm targeting the PC as the platform because the barriers to entry are so low they're about as easy to trip over as a traffic-calming hump.

wooodoggies

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011
well this goes right along with what the gov wants to do which is ban all cash sales period. if you dont have credit, you can't get it, and if you do, it will be illegal. but who cares right? as long as you have your mommys credit card everything is ok

markdj

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
that is really stupid to assume all the piracy and used game sales would be sales of new games. most of these people pirating are probably doing it just because they can or just to see the graphics on their PCs and would not actually buy if they did not have the option to pirate.

Not saying piracy is good, just that it is naive to assume getting rid of piracy results in more sales.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]mr_bonkers[/nom]Oh...Crytek you make me sad. So very Sad. Before you worry about "used game blocking so you can prevent piracy" why not make a game that isn't completely broken on day 1. Or where the servers are all borked up day 1, or where there is absolutely 0 Anti-cheat until months later. Or where you refused to fix the fundamentally broken issues for over a year after launch? What about Promised DX11 support instead of deciding to add it in later? You could've just delayed the game until DX11 was ready. I know 100% I would be fine with that.Crytek is only all giddy about this in the first place because they feel all sad about people who apparently pirated Crysis 1(Which there is absolutely no objective way to tell who downloaded it who didn't own it and etc). Yeah what about the millions of people who bought it legally? Those of us who paid for it and put up with the buggy and unoptimized mess that crysis was?Yeah Crytek, we good.I'm sure Crysis 3 will be Origin only too with a crappy web browser based way to join multiplayer matches. Just so you know, i'll be buying a retail copy and then pirating a cracked copy to play SP because EA decided it didn't want to share any DLC profits with Valve for using Steam(and for fear of EA invading my privacy). I'm not even going to bother with Multiplayer if you don't respect your users and fans enough to not break a game with unnecessary balance changes instead of fixing what's fundamentally wrong with it in multiplayer.[/citation]

so they release the game on the 360 and ps3 first, than 3-6 months (forget how long) they release it on the pc with 11 support. i think that would have annoyed more people than made them happy, worse than relaseing it latter.

[citation][nom]Geowil[/nom]Umm, Piracy is a PC issue. What does the consol market have to fear from piracy except for cross platformers? Also the industry's hate at used games is from their greed. They cannot just be happy with the 1.8B they made on sales (60x3m from the article), they want more then they are owed. The only thing they will achieve by axing used games is to shed their financially struggling customers. IMO used games lead to more new game sales through word of mouth if they are good, just like YoutTube walkthroughs and even some piracy (I admit I have pirated games but I usually go out and buy them later).CryTek and the industry are creating an issue where there is not one so they can justify inflating their sales; capitalism unrestrained falls into greed because everyone who does not have a conscious wants more then they should be afforded, it is a Human problem and one we will have to overcome if we expect to live as a species past the 5000 year mark.[/citation]

less than 12$ makes it back to the developers.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Never owned a console; never will.
If your game does not play on a PC I am not interested.

It is not an 'anti console' statement. But unless you buy and play a ton of games a console makes no financial sense.
Let's say you like 3 games, spending all the money on a console makes for a rather expensive $ per game expense.

i rather spend the hardware $$ on a PC and end up with a more powerful PC that will also handle my non-games tasks better as a result.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
Interesting idea that a customer goes into a retail store and spends $50-$60 for a game and then discovers they do not own it. Perhaps they rented it and were not aware? If I own a thing I can give it away, sell it on ebay or loan it to a friend. In this case it needs to be clearly stated what the consumer is getting for their purchase. I do not care if the dam disk self destructs after one use but tell me that is the case. Crytek wants the money, the product protection but not the marketplace transparency. They are money sucking liars who want to take the dollars but give little in return.

Status
Not open for further replies.