Solved! Curious about unlocked Samsung Galaxy S8+

adesertpenguin

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
I'm in the market for an unlocked Galaxy S8+. I prefer to go this route as my credit is less than stellar, and have been using a Sprint Galaxy S5 on Boost Mobile for a couple years now.

I've looked at a few resell sites that state "Unlocked cell phones are compatible with GSM networks like AT&T and T-Mobile in the U.S. or any GSM network around the world. Phone will not work with Sprint, Verizon, Boost Mobile, Virgin Wireless or any other CDMA network.

If you are purchasing this device for use on a GSM network like T-Mobile or AT&T, please contact your carrier prior to purchasing to confirm your carrier will support voice and data on this unlocked GSM device. Please read and fully understand this unlocked device prior to purchase."

Now, I might be mistaken, but I thought the Galaxy S8 and + were capable of running on GSM and CDMA no matter which carrier you buy from, unlocked or not? Could anyone elaborate on this?

Thank you in advance!

Solution
Having two different brands and provider phones sitting in front of me, I can tell you what it depends on is how the phone is 'unlocked' per se. I.e. did you purchase it from Samsung (which you can) unlocked OR are you going to "a few resell sites" which claim to unlock the phone by 'hacking' it. The Former is legit and thus should work on any carrier no matter what, the latter is what they are referring to which your violating the Terms of Agreement and the modified Android OS that is installed on it to use for another purpose.

Case in point the Virgin Mobile ZTE phone I have is very 'locked down' and won't even let me move apps to the SD card. While I have a S6 Active here from ATT and it too is 'locked down' from me (software...
Having two different brands and provider phones sitting in front of me, I can tell you what it depends on is how the phone is 'unlocked' per se. I.e. did you purchase it from Samsung (which you can) unlocked OR are you going to "a few resell sites" which claim to unlock the phone by 'hacking' it. The Former is legit and thus should work on any carrier no matter what, the latter is what they are referring to which your violating the Terms of Agreement and the modified Android OS that is installed on it to use for another purpose.

Case in point the Virgin Mobile ZTE phone I have is very 'locked down' and won't even let me move apps to the SD card. While I have a S6 Active here from ATT and it too is 'locked down' from me (software wise) manage it in ways I want, at the ROOT / OS level. I don't know if I will be able to use it on another service as I paid it off now, and am moving, and really don't want to do the whole replace OS etc on it risk to brick.

So that basically is what they are suggesting, depending on "HOW" it is 'unlocked'. I would stay the legit route for the most compatibility.

Solution