Cursor moving about screen but unable to click in to anything

Reynard9

Estimable
May 6, 2015
Hi I have a Dell Vostro 3555 laptop and I use a wireless mouse, which up until a couple of months ago worked OK, now although the cursor will move about the screen I unable to log in to outlook, for instance, as when I click in the log-in box there is no response, I have tried a USB mouse with the same results, does anyone know the answer to this problem ?

Reynard9

Harrison Whitmarsh

Estimable
May 1, 2015
Hello Reynard9 and welcome to Toms!

I have a few steps here that may help us shed a little more light on what the actual issue is, try these and lets see what we learn:

Step 1: Open up "Device Manager" which is located in Control Panel, does it show any "errors" or caution symbols? Does the list look like drivers are installed correctly?

Step 2: In Device Manager, open the tab for "Mice and Other Point Devices", are all of those working correctly? Right click on the different options and choose properties, it should give you a "Device Status" which will tell you the current state of your device. Any errors yet?

Step 3: In Control Panel, you can go into "Mouse", which is the settings and features of your mouse. In there, you can change click speed, mouse speed, and just about anything else. See if anything in there strikes you as odd.

With those 3 steps, we will learn if this is a simple problem or a complex one. If you can get back to me after you have done those, that would be fantastic! Until then...

- Harrison Whitmarsh
Lincoln Nebraska USA

Reynard9

Estimable
May 6, 2015
Hi Harrison, I have done the three steps you suggested and did find some yellow question marks on the network adapters symbol, this turned out to be there were no 'Bluetooth' drivers for my Blackberry phone and the same for my Apple iPad, I have downloaded some drivers and the question marks have gone but my original fault is still there.
Regards Reynard9

Harrison Whitmarsh

Estimable
May 1, 2015
Hey Reynard, Harrison here again.

I actually JUST had someone do this to a display laptop I keep around at work, one minute it was working, someone messed with it, changed a setting, and now the dang pointer won't click. I will try and spend some time today and see if I can find a solution. Chat with you soon!

- Harrison Whitmarsh
Lincoln Nebraska USA