Custom Laptop Configuration

MichaeljohnK

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
I have decided to buy a laptop with a custom spec to suit my needs (CAD, DAW and general use).
The problem is that some of the online configuration menus are offering hard drive options that are beyond my current understanding.
If opting for msata/M.2 drives will I still need to purchase HDDs/SSDs ( I need 2) as well as an msata OS/Boot drive?
Could someone please advise me or at least point me in the general direction of articles explaining these configurations.
My priority is performance rather than what is the cheaper option.

Solution
All you need is a single drive to get the laptop up and running. What I would probably do is just order the laptop with a large capacity hard drive. I would then buy a 2.5" SSD drive since they are fairly inexpensive now (250GB seems to be the sweet spot) with the intention of imaging the HDD to the SSD and use the SSD as the C: drive. The HDD would then be used as a storage drive. Install a M.2 SSD when you feel the need for more storage.

Of course, you can go totally solid state. Just configure the laptop with a SSD of whatever capacity you feel is sufficient for you, then purchase a 2.5" SSD and M.2 SSD and install them yourself.

MichaeljohnK

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013

I prefer to keep my general use separate from my DAW and CAD work, so I use dual boot. I am also recently using linux for the first time when doing general stuff such as email and using office suites, I just prefer to use two separate drives for this setup. Storage for DAW and CAD is currently done through external drives (again separate for each dicipline and both backed up onto a third external drive on a monthly basis).

You do not need to have a HDD or SSD installed if the capacity of the mSATA / M.2 SSD is large enough for your needs. Of course you can always install a HDD or SSD into the the 2.5" drive bay at a later time. However, some 13.3" and smaller laptops no longer have the 2.5" drive bay and simply relies on the mSATA / M.2 interfaces.

Some laptops with come with a 2.5" HDD and a small capacity mSATA SSD that is primarily used for caching purposes only.

MichaeljohnK

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013

Thanks for your reply, its a 17.3" laptop that I will be buying so there will be aple room for two HDDs/SSDs.
Would I be better off opting for two 2.5" drives initially and adding M.2 hardware later or would a combination of both be better?

All you need is a single drive to get the laptop up and running. What I would probably do is just order the laptop with a large capacity hard drive. I would then buy a 2.5" SSD drive since they are fairly inexpensive now (250GB seems to be the sweet spot) with the intention of imaging the HDD to the SSD and use the SSD as the C: drive. The HDD would then be used as a storage drive. Install a M.2 SSD when you feel the need for more storage.

Of course, you can go totally solid state. Just configure the laptop with a SSD of whatever capacity you feel is sufficient for you, then purchase a 2.5" SSD and M.2 SSD and install them yourself.

Solution