Cutting Cable TV... Any Tricks or Tips?

jemf7sk

Estimable
Sep 2, 2014
I'm cutting my cable tv but going to keep the cable modem unless you all know any better ways to receive internet? I have a ROKU and Amazon Prime membership. Any free internet TV sites or other recommendations to make the most out of not having cable TV?

pierrerock

Estimable
Jul 4, 2014
Netflix, hulu TV these are the two main competitor in the TV Shows/movie Legal streaming Website and you have to pay for it.

EDIT : But Hey, they both starts at 7.99$/month which is a pretty good offer if you do watch TV often

jemf7sk

Estimable
Sep 2, 2014
I actually use the free Plex server with my laptop and the Roku so I can basically get any thing I want as long as it is not live. Just wasn't sure if there was any good live tv sites to watch or even cool media center type things to make the experience better. Someday I am going to have to build a nice, inexpensive, small, quiet and efficient computer to hook straight to the tv.

jemf7sk

Estimable
Sep 2, 2014
What kind of computer setups do you all have with your tv? I would like to build and connect a computer to my tv so I could use it from my couch in the family room through the tv... play youtube vids, netflix, etc. and run a sound system through it. I'm sure there are many other uses I could get from an attached computer vs. the Roku... the Roku can go in the bedroom.

I have not cut the cord (and I don't plan to). I have a Home Theater PC with a Ceton InfiniTV4 Tuner Card installed, connected to both my HDTV as well as my projector. I live in a small apartment, so my everyday PC is also in the living room. My systems are connected via a wired network, so I can assign one of my HTPCs tuners to my everyday PC. This allows me to watch one channel on either my HDTV or projector and another on my PC's Monitor simultaneously. This really comes in handy when there are multiple sporting events at the same time (a.k.a football season).

I would also note that my HTPC (running Windows 7) has the Netflix Media Center plugin installed which allows me to watch Netflix shows and movies without having to exit Windows Media Center, start up a browser, navigate the Netflix, etc...

I control the HTPC from the couch using a Media Center Remote Control. I also have a wireless keyboard nearby on the off chance I need to do actual PC stuff on the HTPC.

-Wolf sends

jemf7sk

Estimable
Sep 2, 2014

That's the best article I've seen on that. He covered all the bases! Actually, I have cut the cable before, about a year ago and knew all this stuff. I was really just wondering what hardware was out there to make things more enjoyable. I'm thinking a computer as a media server connected to my main tv will do the trick.

Escott

Estimable
Apr 6, 2015
I've just finally cut the cord. I bought an Android Tv box and put the Kodi app on it. With the Android Tv I have been able to watch many live TV stations, Watch Movies and Tv shows for free. I bought my Android Tv from an online store my friend told me about. I liked Cheetah Tech because they have free shipping and my Android Tv came fast.

Mod Edit for advertisement