cutting the cable

tnks2hp

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2013
I can't afford to pay for local channels anymore and want to connect an antenna. The problem is that I don't know what products I need to buy. My TV has ATSC, QAM digital TV tuner. It's from 2007, so it's an old tv. Thank you in advance for your help.

tnks2hp

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2013

Thank you for your direction. I ended up not purchasing the suggested antenna through the website and purchasing a less expensive one from Amazon.

This is what I got:
TV Antenna - Vansky 2018 Upgraded Indoor Amplified Digital HDTV Antenna 50 Mile Range Local Broadcast 4K/HD/VHF/UHF Signal Channels for Television w/ Detachable Amplifier and 16.5feet Coax Cable
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01FUB4ZG8?m=A2UVTQA9DMW37E&ref_=v_sp_widget_detail_page

I thought this would work. What do you think?

Yeah, the flat leaf antennas are good enough I'd say for 98% of people living in urban or suburban areas. You need to be pretty far from the transmitter (50-75 miles) before you really need something beefier. Though close to 50 miles you might want to go with an amplified leaf antenna in case you need to mount it higher up on the wall or around a corner to get a decent signal. And it's always better to try with the cheaper, less-intrusive antenna first to see if it works, before you step up to the bigger Yagi-type.

The bigger problem is obstructions. I'm within range of the Los Angeles ATSC transmitters, but there's a big hill between my house and the antennas. So I get nothing.