anwarov

Commendable
Mar 11, 2016
Hi, i have an HP ProBook 4710s:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T6570 @ 2.10 GHz (2CPU, ~ 2.1GHz)
Memory: 2GB Ram
Graphics: Ati Mobility Radeon HD 4330 (512mb) Driver version: 8.632.1.1000
HDD: 250 GB
Running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit.

I wish to upgrade my ram to 6gb or 8gb but i do not know how to go about this as i am not sure of what combinations work. And laptopnerd though you did provide me with a link on details for my laptop model i could not discern the requisite information for RAM upgrading.

Solution
According to this review, your system supports up to 8GB, so you would need two 4GB sticks or if you decide to go for 6GB, then one 2GB (which you already have) plus another 4GB.

http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/hp-probook-4710s

Whatever you chose, make sure both sticks are the same frequency. For instance, if your current module is 667Mhz, get another one that is the same. You can, however, go for 2 new 800Mhz modules which won't improve performance but would make more sense because that's the highest frequency you can get.
--
I forgot to add that whatever you chose, as soon as you go over 3GB of ram, you will need to reinstall a 64 bit copy of your OS. So maybe take that into account, because if you don't, the computer will...
Hi,

Here's a better link that I would say will give you exactly what you need to upgrade the RAM. Your laptop can be upgraded to 8GB max so that means you have 2 RAM slot inside your laptop and you can put 2 stick of 4GB ram.

The RAM you need are 2 of 4GB DDR3-1600 SODIMM

Here's where you can buy them from: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP---Compaq/probook-4710s-(ddr3)

CircuitDaemon

Commendable
Feb 23, 2016
According to this review, your system supports up to 8GB, so you would need two 4GB sticks or if you decide to go for 6GB, then one 2GB (which you already have) plus another 4GB.

http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/hp-probook-4710s

Whatever you chose, make sure both sticks are the same frequency. For instance, if your current module is 667Mhz, get another one that is the same. You can, however, go for 2 new 800Mhz modules which won't improve performance but would make more sense because that's the highest frequency you can get.
--
I forgot to add that whatever you chose, as soon as you go over 3GB of ram, you will need to reinstall a 64 bit copy of your OS. So maybe take that into account, because if you don't, the computer will work but you wont get more available memory.

Solution

k1114

Distinguished
Careful with ddr3 and ddr2, they are not compatible. That laptop model has different versions, one that supports ddr3 and another that supports ddr2. You can see the specs of your current ram with cpuz. As mentioned, if you want to use more than 4gb, you need a 64bit os. Even if you install 4gb, this amount also includes 512MB from your graphics so only 3.5GB would be usable, probably less from hardware reserved. Because of the age of the system, I would be wary to spend much on it.