Dead hp hdx 16 laptop not charging

Snork123

Estimable
Feb 5, 2016
Hadn't used this for a very long time,would not charge up battery or work on ac power so bought a new battery.Followed instructions and let it charge overnight(No blue charging light appeared) In the morning I turned it on,despite no light on it powered up but was only 8% charged which quickly ran out.Plugged back in and left it to charge but nothing.It doesn't work on AC with or without battery;I've changed the brick with one I know works.I don't have another 'head' that goes into the charging socket so I can't check that but it did get it to a small percentage so I presume that's ok?
The white middle LED between the power and DVD icons it's like a lightning bolt, blinks when I power on with the battery inserted and AC connected but doesn't when just AC connected.
Can someone offer any advice at all I'm not at all techie so can't do voltage checking etc.
Thanks in advance

Solution
"If it's the laptop socket is it an easy fix?"

Yes and no, yes it's easy to change the DC jack, because the jack is not soldered on the motherboard, you have to unplug a connector. No, because you have to open the laptop to reach the DC jack.

thejackal85

Estimable
Jan 18, 2016
This honestly looks like the contacts for the battery are failing, this is the only logical explanation left. What I mean by contacts are if you pop the battery out, you'll see the copper contacts in the groove of the battery area where it clicks in. If those contacts are shot, then a new battery, AC adapter, etc., will not help. These contacts can usually get this way with rapid power fluctuations, power surges, etc.

Snork123

Estimable
Feb 5, 2016

Do you mean where the AC is pushed into the laptop or the actual 'head' of the AC lead itself?

If it's the laptop socket is it an easy fix?

"If it's the laptop socket is it an easy fix?"

Yes and no, yes it's easy to change the DC jack, because the jack is not soldered on the motherboard, you have to unplug a connector. No, because you have to open the laptop to reach the DC jack.

Solution