Debugging audio switching issue - Samsung 4k TV with apps and Denon Receiver

bogun88

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
Hi everyone, I have a connections question and need your help please.

Using a Samsung 4k streaming TV (65JS850D) and Denon Reciever (AVR-x4200W) with ANYNET+ Enabled. I have several HDMI sources (DirecTv box, game systems, ...) all are connected directly to the Receiver first. A HDMI cable goes out from receiver to the TV.

Because my TV has apps (Netflix, Hulu, etc.) I use an optical audio out from TV back to the receiver to get audio. My intention is that when I want to watch the apps, I can use the Receiver remote to select that optical input (named "TV APPS") and view the TV with not external sources other than its apps, which audio playing through the receiver.
This works but has issues.

The Denon will automatically switch to "TV APPS" source frequently. Usually when everything powers up, occasionally when a new Device like a game system powers up. When it switches, the picture from the other HDMI source I had hope to watch goes blank. After a few taps on the receiver remote to select the input I had intended to watch, it settles down and no longer automatically switches.

Is there a better way to hook these up so the Denon doesn't hijack my source? I have more HDMI sources than the TV has inputs so I assume I have to connect to the receiver first.

The system general looks and sounds great, but the switching problem gets very annoying.

Thanks for any help you can give me to remedy this :)

Solution
Your hookup is fine and not the problem. CEC (or Anynet+) often doesn't work correctly since different manufacturers implement it differently. Turn it off in the Denon receiver and it should stop deciding what input you want to use.

bogun88

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks americanaudiophile! I appreciate the help