Deciding if i should try to repair projector

wjb

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
I have a Mitsubishi SL4SU projector and have been happy with it. The power cord was accidentally unplugged while it was running. I may have made a mistake, but I plugged it back in immediately. The image looked normal but then white began fade within 5-10 minutes to a noticeable darker image. I changed the bulb and have same problem

I have an identical until that failed several months ago. It would just shut down. It wasn't worth the time and effort to investigate so I found the present unit on ebay and then had several back-up bulbs.

Does anyone have an idea what might be the problem with the unit that was unplugged? Is it a part that can be salvaged from the the old unit? If it's a simple fix I may try it because I have nothing to lose. Thanks.

Solution

th3p00r

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016
I only issue I could think of it that will screwed the bulb because it needs to be cool down before shut down.
Did you try to reset to default? when you changed the bulb, did you reset the lamb hours?

wjb

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013

centurion39

Prominent
Feb 24, 2017

It is possible that yanking the cord may have caused an issue with the power supply, or any of the other boards, or the residual not vented heat cooked a component that was operating marginally, or maybe the extra heat caused damage to the lcd, etc... I was going to say maybe there is an iris problem but evidently your projector doesn't have an adjustable one.

There is no easy way of telling, so for your enjoyment, I found this link to a service manual pdf in a rar file

https://www.elektrotanya.com/mitsubishi_sl4su_xl5u.rar/download.html

Which is going to be way more useful than any comments that are made unless they come from someone who actually has fixed one of these.

Good luck, and BE CAREFUL WITH PLUGGED IN STUFF!

Solution