Default to dot-by-dot on Sharp monitor when connected to a PC

Mark Amos

Estimable
Jul 24, 2015
Our Sharp Aquos seems to switch to "stretch" when ever we connect a PC to it, then we have to reselect dot-by-dot. Is there a way to default it to dot-by-dot so that whenever a PC connects to it, it will use dot-by-dot.

junkeymonkey

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
I think dot to dot is what you want [my sharp has it as well but I don't have its manual dowmloaded but I do for this one and heres what it says

5. Full 100%
This mode is only available under PC. It will map dot by dot to the screen. Any
resolution will be proportional

now for the rest

1. NORMAL
Most analog TV channels have 4:3 signal formats. If the original 4:3 aspect ratio
(1.33:1 source) is preserved, black bars are added to the left and right of the
display image. This aspect keeps that aspect ratio and shows you the black bars
on the side.
2. WIDE
This mode will stretch the picture to a widescreen ratio. If you have a perfect 16:9
ratio picture you will not see any black bars. If you are watching a widescreen
movie in 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 ratio, you will still get black bars on the top and bottom of
the screen. If you use this mode on 4:3 pictures they will be stretched and
distorted horizontally.
3. CINEMA
This mode cuts off all 4 sides to try to make a widescreen movie fit better on the
TV screen.
4. ZOOM
When watching a 4:3 aspect ratio TV or movie, this mode zooms in to cut off most
of the black bars on the side while preserving the 16:9 ratio. Because of the zoom,
the top and bottom are cut off as well.

like with some games that don't support certin display ratios the it may change the setting to whats needed best I see dot to dot is default for pc use ???

don't forget to check the overscan settings in your cards control panel or ccc to fine tune the display to fit ..

Aug 20, 2018

after over a year being annoyed by this issue I figured out. It seems that disable "HDML Auto View" in Input Settings will prevent view mode falling back from "dot by dot" to "stretch".