Deleted my network adapter?

Rharb004

Estimable
Sep 23, 2015
I'm not sure how, but I must have managed to delete my network adapter. When I try to connect to the internet via ethernet cable it tells me I don't have the correct adapter installed. I've been to the Dell website and even spoke with the customer support but I can't seem to download anything from there to help and I'd really rather not have to pay $130 for them to fix it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rharb004

Estimable
Sep 23, 2015
I'm not sure what I'm even looking for, I tried downloading what I could find on the website, which I'll post a link to. I have a wireless adapter that I'm using and I've tried just about everything people have asked. I'm not sure how unique this issue is but I'm hoping I'm just overlooking some simple answer.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/servicetag/32T0DP1/drivers?rvps=y&s=DHS This is the link to the website that the customer service directed me to. I suppose I could try downloading the wireless adapters, but the hard line connection is my issue.

GearUp

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010

You may now be ready to move to the DIY group, small as it may be. You're network adapter probably installed as the wrong device. Uninstall any devices you have drivers for and reinstall with the Network adapter last (in your case). Only install what is already listed in Device Manager and Programs for devices. Hope you have backed up everything and have an installation disk if needed.

GearUp

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
If you modified the system by adding a wireless card they won't provide free support. That still shouldn't have created a problem so it may be you haven't configured things correctly. The message about wrong adapter suggests you uninstalled something at some point.

Rharb004

Estimable
Sep 23, 2015
I'm not sure I've backed up in awhile, although it's something I can do now. Is there anything specific I would be looking for? Surely the device would at least install under the original name. You'll have to forgive my ignorance in this.

Rharb004

Estimable
Sep 23, 2015
I hate to be this tedious, but I could always try and post a screenshot of my devices, assuming that would help at all. It isn't that this is very awful or debilitating, it's just an inconvenience.

GearUp

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
I try to copy my folders (not system etc. just what I have added) to a backup drive every two weeks. If you know what happened before the problem it would help a lot. I had a similar issue with a different brand LAN installation from Intel that I'm used to and also with adding an Intel to that system for comparison. If you can, uninstall the wireless first and proceed from there if necessary (LAN, VGA, Management Engine, Audio if necessary) to reinstall. If you've done a clean install and monitored each driver installation in Device Manager it is much easier to understand.
The device name would be listed but the device > properties information may not be particularly helpful. Any yellow bangs present at this time need to be resolved.

GearUp

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010

If you are running Windows 7 the simplest solution is to do a System Restore to a point preceding the problem. You might need to do successively older restore points and if you've been using the system for years it may not work. The oldest point should work if the system is in original condition (no added wireless).

GearUp

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010

I'd look at it. If you do, select show hidden devices as well with everything expanded if that will fit the image.