Dell 7577 or lenovo y520 with 1060

mrpitics

Prominent
Jan 15, 2018
Hi.
I'm trying to decide between the aforementioned two laptops.

Dell 7577
Cpu: i5-7300hq
Gpu: gtx 1060 maq-q 6gb ddr5
Ram: 8gb
Storage: 256 ssd
Other: with win10, 5 year warranty
Price: 1600$ after pixel and damage insurance.

Lenovo y520
Cpu: i7-7700hq
Gpu: gtx 1060 3gb ddr5 ( dunno if maxq)
Ram 4gb
Storage:1tb 5400rpm hdd
Other: with win10, 5 year warranty
Price: after checking the +4gb ram box and adding the same pixel and damage insurance i get about the sane price as the dell.

Question. Which one is the better deal for me? The lenovo with less vram gpu no ssd and kinda plasticky chassis or the dell that comes with everything needed out of the box but i5 instead of i7 and max-q gpu?

Solution

I expressed myself wierd, but I basically agree. I just tried to distinguish between manufacturer warranty and the insurances tech shops sell for extra...

zoltan.boese

Notable
Jan 30, 2018

mrpitics

Prominent
Jan 15, 2018
Thanks for the answer. No omen at that price range. The other machines that are comperable are an
Acer aspire 7
I7- 7700hq
Gtx 1060 6gb
17" screen
Hdd+128gb ssd
8gb ram

And a Predator helios 300 with the same specs as the aspire but 15"screen.

Both of these however has way less warranty than the dell and no os. ( which i dont want to get seperatly if it can be avoided since its expensive. And i dont want to live the pirate life as well)

mrpitics

Prominent
Jan 15, 2018
What do you mean by the second part? I would think a longer insurance means the manufacturer trusts its product enough that its willing to give a longer coverage for repairs. At least i guess. Btw you basically solved my question by your first answer. I was hesitating on the aspire because of the i7 and bigger screen but in the end, i've heard about problems with acer models but i didbt see one serious complaint about the dell. And in the long run what decides is that i trust the dell more to not fry its internals due to thermals or other issues in a few years than the others.

zoltan.boese

Notable
Jan 30, 2018

I expressed myself wierd, but I basically agree. I just tried to distinguish between manufacturer warranty and the insurances tech shops sell for extra money.

i7 has a higher TDP. In a small enclosure you can not use all of its potential, if it throttles due to thermals. Higher clocks often fall victim to throttling. The i5-7300HQ has 4 physical cores, many games benefit from that, but hyperthreading is not a must have function.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS