Dell drivers

Kedeli

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
I have two questions regarding the installation of drivers on the dell website.

First is when I enter my service tag for my laptop, and the list of drivers comes up, are they all needed by my system? Or are they the latest ones available but possibly already installed? I have just purchased my laptop btw.

Second question is about whether it is necessary to install the drivers in a specific order, dell says there is a recommended install order but is this only when installing them after a clean install of windows?

Thank you.

SchizTech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
First: check the Device Manager for which drivers are missing. Most missing drivers appear under "Other devices." "Base System Device" often refers to a card reader. In Vista/7 if the graphics driver shows "Standard VGA device" count the video driver as one you need to get.

Second: I usually install a motherboard chipset driver first, but there's no particular order that's mandatory. The Dell "Recommended/Urgent/etc" stuff is nonsense, just get the ones you're missing regardless of how Dell tags them. Usually the only reasons you'd go to a driver support site are to get up and running after a clean install, or if for some reason one of your drivers stopped working or became corrupt.

DarkOutlaw

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
Depends, if your running windows 7 probably not. Take a look at your device manager and see if you have any unrecognized hardware.