Dell G7 freezes while gaming, the laptop is closed, connected to external monitor, but resumes once the lid is opened

Sep 7, 2018
I have a new Dell G7 Laptop. Runs perfectly fine. Only issue is when I play games with an external monitor, the game freezes. I have to open the laptop back up and then everything goes back to normal. I close it and then 5- 10 minutes later bam its stuck and I have to open it again. Not the worst thing in the world but its super annoying. I have set the Power Settings to "do nothing" when the lid is closed. I have also chosen both extending the display and duplicating the display. The problem happen regardless of these options.

Solution
I have the same issue, but a bit different. It freezes when laptop is plugged in (I have not tested while playing games before, because I can not use this laptop because of freeze).

So, check it without charging and with charging.

Also I have read somewhere that you should change battery setting (in bios) from adaptive to primary use.
Oct 18, 2018
I have the same issue, but a bit different. It freezes when laptop is plugged in (I have not tested while playing games before, because I can not use this laptop because of freeze).

So, check it without charging and with charging.

Also I have read somewhere that you should change battery setting (in bios) from adaptive to primary use.

Solution
Jan 31, 2019
Have anyone figured out a solution? I have a similar issue when the CPU/GPU gets working in high gear. It is random though.... Not every time. My external monitor freezes, but once I either open the lid or unplug the power cord it acts like normal.

gsp.gr81

Prominent
Jan 31, 2019

I would say the same.
for a chipset on a laptop to be handling dual screens while gaming is a bit much.
Coupled that you're closing the lid which adds to the heat issue.

When you extend the screen, the gpu is still running calculations for it even though you closed the lid.

Try monitoring your GPU temps with a program like the one found here
https://openhardwaremonitor.org/

Also I would just try sending the signal to "second screen only" and leave the lid open and see if that makes a difference.